Cardiospermum halicacabum
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Does anyone grow this? Veggie? I'm counting on you having grown it. AKA love-in-a-puff or balloon vine. Will it thrive in the Midlands? It's tropical, so has to be grown as an annual, so I'd like to know if the season will be long enough to get it to seed, as the seed pods are the showy part.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
I haven’t grown it. Looks like a fun plant to have though.
I grew hairy balls once (waiting for comments!!) but they weren’t a success. Grew too tall and leggy and only produced a few pods before frost got them.
Your post has made me consider having another go, but will pinch them to try and keep them bushy.
(Gomphocarpus)
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thought you were swearing, Moth, especially with your "cacabum" !!
Then FEW comes along with her hairy balls........................I'm starting to think I'm on the wrong forum. Big Grin
I haven't grown or even heard of either of them but the thought of growing a "norty corner" where every plant has a rude name is appealing. I've always been a fan of Silybums myself. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, JJB, Moth

JJB Offline
Moonraker
FEW I think you need to see a doctor! (Didn't want to disappoint you and not commentBig Grin)
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Moth, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I like the idea of a "norty corner", Veggie. Big Grin
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've grown it, just because I loved the seeds! I tried two years on the trot - managed to save seeds and they did grow but weren't vigorous enough for me. I also started quite early in the season to give them a good season. Just got a bit "lost" in my garden. It is reasonably pretty, but not one for me to bother growing again.

I "think" I put the seeds in one of our swaps once? Black with a white heart on?
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(30-03-2022, 12:08 PM)Moth Wrote: I like the idea of a "norty corner", Veggie. Big Grin
See you there, Moth. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth

Farendwoman Offline
(30-03-2022, 10:44 AM)JJB Wrote: FEW I think you need to see a doctor!  (Didn't want to disappoint you and not commentBig Grin)
Thank you!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(30-03-2022, 12:13 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I've grown it, just because I loved the seeds! I tried two years on the trot - managed to save seeds and they did grow but weren't vigorous enough for me. I also started quite early in the season to give them a good season. Just got a bit "lost" in my garden. It is reasonably pretty, but not one for me to bother growing again.

I "think" I put the seeds in one of our swaps once? Black with a white heart on?
Seeds Black with a white heart on....................just dawned on me - Cardio = heart related. You can work out "spermum" for yourselves Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Moth, Scarlet