2022- Beans List
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I think the Soissons are a bit rounder than the Tarbais? I always cook and then freeze broadies so don't know if they're effected. I haven't looked too closely!!
I usually get one good season of a variety and the next year the beetles 'find' them! Pea beans were fine two years ago, but iffy last year. We have no arable farming locally, beyond a bit of maze for hens, and very few people with potagers so I've no idea where they came from, the vetch maybe.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I still have Sarriss's mystery beans from a couple of years ago. Looking forward to giving those a go.

Otherwise, I'm growing Masterpiece broad beans, Wizard Field Beans (if they sprout then they'll just be for seed this year so I don't have to buy them again), Lima O Del Papa, everything from the seed swap (because why not?!), and then Aurora and some self-saved runner beans (maybe Prizewinner Stringless?)

I really like beans and peas, but I'm going to need to do lots of vertical growing to get everything in!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 5 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, PyreneesPlot, SarrissUK, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
(02-04-2022, 11:55 AM)Proserpina Wrote: I still have Sarriss's mystery beans from a couple of years ago. Looking forward to giving those a go.

Otherwise, I'm growing Masterpiece broad beans, Wizard Field Beans (if they sprout then they'll just be for seed this year so I don't have to buy them again), Lima O Del Papa, everything from the seed swap (because why not?!), and then Aurora and some self-saved runner beans (maybe Prizewinner Stringless?)

I really like beans and peas, but I'm going to need to do lots of vertical growing to get everything in!

Oh I have a load of them still Pros! I will definitely get them going in one of the greenhouses this year Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(29-03-2022, 06:45 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I’ll be growing
Runner beans don’t know which variety yet
climbing french beans trenejavec
climbing french beans meuch
climbing french beans Kew blue
climbing french beans Cherokee trail of tears
This lot because I can plant and let them get on with it and harvest all in one go at the end of the season for drying.

No dwarf french beans this year because they live in the tunnel so need watering.
Change of plan 
CFB trenejavec - didn’t germinate 
CFB meuch - all came up blind ? Brilliant roots on them , so hoping they’re still grow.
CFB Kew blue - didn’t germinate 
CFB Cherokee trail of tears - growing 
CFB blue lake - didn’t germinate 

tiger beans ( are the CFB? )  just devastated they didn’t germinate  Sad

all the CFB will grow up the bean frame. With a gap between varieties. Hopefully with a barrier of some sort as well. Still working out what & how.

bush beans yin yang. Will be growing in the tunnel.

runner beans - Greek Gigantes Will also be growing up the bean frame.
runner beans - scarlet emperor will be the first edible crop on my new plot   Big Grin  Cool . As I want to save seeds from them both I think that should be far enough apart to stop cross pollination. 

butter beans (known by many many other names) I’ll be growing these in the court yard of one of the holiday cottages I clean. Again that should be far enough away to stop crossing. 

that’s the plan now. Again all grown for beans not pods. Apart from scarlet emperor. Yet another veg I could go a year without growing    Blush .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Garrett

doublyjonah Offline
The Tiger beans are climbers, SC. Are they the ones I sent to the seed swap a couple years ago? I'm growing from that batch of saved seed this year and I think they're germinating.

I'll have a check later. I can send you a handful if mine seem to be ok.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-05-2022, 01:28 PM)doublyjonah Wrote: The Tiger beans are climbers, SC. Are they the ones I sent to the seed swap a couple years ago? I'm growing from that batch of saved seed this year and I think they're germinating.

I'll have a check later. I can send you a handful if mine seem to be ok.
Definitely from seed swap. Don’t remember when. Completely my own fault they didn’t germinate. Major rookie mistake!  Blush Sad
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Might be my seed swap. if no germination, I'm so sorry. I'll have to check my own beans to see if anything's happening. Quite happy to accept responsibility for poor cropping on my part and apologise Sad
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(31-03-2022, 02:59 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I'm so green with envy at you lot with your drying beans - I can't store anything because of a bean beetle; females lay eggs in the flowers and the grubs eat the beans, adults emerging from the dried bean, usually into the storage jar! Even the local Tarbais beans are effected! Yuk Sad

Anyway, this year's list is almost the same as last, only the Maxidor is new.

Broad beans Aqualdulce 6 rows of 1.5m, all autumn sown half in mid october and half in mid November.
Endamame Green Shell

Dwarf French Beans-
Roquencourt Yellow
Beurre Maxidor yellow
Slenderette green

Climbing Beans-
Yard Long
Cosse Violette
Pea Bean
I had these one year Sad I did some research as I didn't want to lose my seeds so I froze the lot and they were still viable to plant the following year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-05-2022, 12:31 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(29-03-2022, 06:45 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I’ll be growing
Runner beans don’t know which variety yet
climbing french beans trenejavec
climbing french beans meuch
climbing french beans Kew blue
climbing french beans Cherokee trail of tears
This lot because I can plant and let them get on with it and harvest all in one go at the end of the season for drying.

No dwarf french beans this year because they live in the tunnel so need watering.
Change of plan 
CFB trenejavec - didn’t germinate 
CFB meuch - all came up blind ? Brilliant roots on them , so hoping they’re still grow.
CFB Kew blue - didn’t germinate 
CFB Cherokee trail of tears - growing 
CFB blue lake - didn’t germinate 

tiger beans ( are the CFB? )  just devastated they didn’t germinate  Sad

all the CFB will grow up the bean frame. With a gap between varieties. Hopefully with a barrier of some sort as well. Still working out what & how.

bush beans yin yang. Will be growing in the tunnel.

runner beans - Greek Gigantes Will also be growing up the bean frame.
runner beans - scarlet emperor will be the first edible crop on my new plot   Big Grin  Cool . As I want to save seeds from them both I think that should be far enough apart to stop cross pollination. 

butter beans (known by many many other names) I’ll be growing these in the court yard of one of the holiday cottages I clean. Again that should be far enough away to stop crossing. 

that’s the plan now. Again all grown for beans not pods. Apart from scarlet emperor. Yet another veg I could go a year without growing    Blush .
Were they from me? I usually leave to dry for ages! I can send you some more?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

SarrissUK Offline
I've just sowed runner bean Enorma and Lady Di, climbing french bean Neckargold (yellow) and Golden Gate (yellow), dwarf-ish french beans Kinghorn wax (yellow)... notice a trend yet?
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB