Spiders
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
There is a spiders web in a shed that had a big spider in it, big body and stocky legs. I used to notice it every time I went in till yesterday when there was a much smaller spider in the web and the big spider was nowhere to be seen.

Do spiders every move home? Or can they shrink in size?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
Or can one eat the other  Confused
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
If they eat each other, you would expect the big one to eat the little one, or, at the very least, the little one to have a huge pot belly.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Maybe the little spider was the Missus, staying at home, mending the web while the big spider was out gathering food to bring back for his good lady.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
The very dainty looking cellar spiders are known to eat the bigger evil-looking Tegenarias. I'd never seen one before I moved to NE Lincs, but they were everywhere there. Now they seem to be here too (not just because I've brought them back with me!) and I'm seeing far fewer Tegenarias (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned!)
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think the big one has moved out ....saw him scuttling across my living room floor last night. He was the size of a dinner plate Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
(25-03-2022, 01:05 AM)Proserpina Wrote: The very dainty looking cellar spiders are known to eat the bigger evil-looking Tegenarias. I'd never seen one before I moved to NE Lincs, but they were everywhere there. Now they seem to be here too (not just because I've brought them back with me!) and I'm seeing far fewer Tegenarias (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned!)

I agree - my house was full of them bloody spiders... I didn't like them, but you're also right in that they do reduce the amount of any other spiders! So at least that's a positive. They used to like to set up home in my cupboards, them cellar spiders (I didn't know that's what they're called)
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina