Tromboncino varieties!
SarrissUK Offline
It'll soon be time for the annual tromboncino competition again, where we giggle at Veggie talking about girth with a straight face lol

Last time I grew trombos, it was Tromboncino D'Albenga and I think I still have seeds somewhere. It was alright, good fruits, but it was a disaster year for trombos.

I've saved seeds from the first time I grew trombos, and they didn't produce well at all.

The original variety I grew was amazing and I loved it! Very light lime green fruits to begin with, then matte pale yellow with the flesh turning pink as it reaches maturity. Sweet flavour.

So, my question to you is - I don't think Tromboncino D'Albenga is my favourite tromba, but I don't know what my favourite is called.

Do you know of any established varieties other than D'Albenga?
What are your experiences please?

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Moved your thread, Sarriss to one where the lovers of weirdly shaped long veg hang out.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've had some that were just called Tromboncino. Don't know of any others apart from d'Albenga and Serpente di Sicilia which is similar but different!

Don't grow Bartolomeo Tromboncino!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartolomeo_Tromboncino
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
From the same pkt of seeds I had one tromba green and one like a tromba shaped butternut. The pkt from Premier Seeds was labelled tombetta d'albegna
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I grow Tromboncino d'albenga  and have always had very good crop. 2 or 3 of the crop being an impressive length &  girth  Wink  Big Grin . I get my seeds from chiltern seeds. As the one thing our annual competition has shown is there is a massive variation in tromboncino even with the “same” name.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie