A Food Dehydrator
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
^^^^ Must try harder. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Farendwoman Offline
Best stuff I’ve dehydrated, Veggie, are mushrooms (field ones that I didn’t pay for, of course!) ,surplus strawberries from the patch, sliced lemons, limes and oranges and pineapple from when they are cheap in the supermarket.
Have you seen the ridiculous prices for dried mushrooms in supermarkets!!!
The dried strawberries are lovely on porridge or even cheap cornflakes.
The pineapple is just a nice chewy snack.
Dried crispy citrus slices transform your gin and tonic or whatever floats your boat!
The most disappointing thing for me was tomatoes. They took for ever to dry even when thinly sliced , and I had some of them go mouldy because they hadn’t dried enough.
My other half worked our that it cost 7p per hour to run the 500watt dehydrator (will now be double that from April) and I reckon it cost me 24 x 7p to get semi dried tomatoes that went mouldy.
Would be grateful if other forumites can tell me what else is worth the energy cost to dry.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks FEW.Smile
I wanted one to deal with the courgettes, toms and beans that I always grow too much of and don't like eating after freezing. Always have too many apples too - so want it to avoid waste really - plus, of course, any yellow sticker bargains that fall into my trolley. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
(12-03-2022, 07:52 PM)Veggie Wrote: Thanks FEW.Smile
I wanted one to deal with the courgettes, toms and beans that I always grow too much of and don't like eating after freezing. Always have too many apples too - so want it to avoid waste really - plus, of course, any yellow sticker bargains that fall into my trolley. Big Grin
Exactly … cheap or reduced produced from Supermarket, or glut from garden. 
have had success drying tomatoes a la Nigella “moonblush tomatoes”. Cheaper on fuel too. 
like you I can’t stand home frozen beans and courgettes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just goggled Moonblush - dried in a cooling off oven.

I know its sounds all doom and gloom but world events make me want to be as self reliant as possible. The last 2 years with lockdown & food shortages in shops would have been more difficult without stored food in the freezer/cupboards and the garden produce. Who knows what the consequences of the Russia/Ukraine war will be on our food supplies.
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Mark_Riga

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I really like tomatoes done in the dehydrator sprinkled with a mix of dried basil, oregano, salt & pepper and topped with Parmesan. It’s one of the recipes on the dehydrator recipe thread. Also dried beans and courgettes. Courgettes dry brilliantly and are really good when rehydrated. Not slimy mush like after freezing. I’ve been known to dry a couple of chillies on occasion  Wink . Bob does biltong sometimes.

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My new toy is being delivered tomorrow. I've cleared a space for it. The only thing missing is something to try it with!!
  • JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Advice needed please!
Given that I am not going to buy anything in order to try out the dehydrator, I'm thinking of raiding the garden for stuff.
I can find Lovage, Chard, Spinach, Lettuce, Three cornered leek, green onion leaves, kale, rosemary. Also have 6 San Marzano tomatoes with leathery skins.
Which of these should I try first? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I vote for the green onion leaves. I think they will be the easiest to use and should dehydrate quickly.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Kale crisps are lovely. With salt garlic and mixed dried herbs.
Sure the recipe is in one of the links for timing and how to. Think I made up the garlic and herb coating myself. Think it only take 5 - 6 hours. Definitely easily done in a day.
I have learned to put a lot less salt on than they say in the recipe.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny