Recommendations on what veg to plant
Spec Offline
I am going to restart a garden in the field again this year, to start off I will be putting some compost down then cover with cardboard and plant some rhubarb, this will free up a couple of large containers which I will use one for courgettes, still thinking on the other, but I recon rhubarb should be OK to grow in an open field as I doubt anything will touch it, but can you recommend any veg that I could grow in an unprotected area, which is open to deer, rabbits etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Thread moved!
I wouldn't rely on rhubarb being pest proof - my chickens eat the leaves. Do you have any plans to enclose any of the veg or are you leaving it all open?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not so much veg but Raspberries don't seem to be touched here...I get the odd rabbit, they usually razor my clematis. Deer love sweetcorn....well the wiltshire ones do!
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Spec

SarrissUK Offline
Perennial kale is supposed to be popular for birds, but not the cabbage white I think? I've got some, but not big enough to know if it's actually true, or indeed to take cuttings to send you.
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Spec

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Chard is often spared from the birds here - I really get hammered with pigeons. What I've found is if I grow along the greenhouse ( toughened glass) the pigeons can't land on it. So I've had a good crop of kale/greens foe few years.
When deer have jumped the fence here, it's not just eating it that causes the damage. They flatten everything.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Spec