FB and CFB for freezing
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I love beans but I can't eat frozen ones....though happy to eat the "shelled" bean without the pod. I am finding without the aga the dried beans take ages...so maybe I will cook or freeze the beans fresh this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Pressure cooker for dried beans or or slowcooker?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Pressure cooker ATM, that might change. Smelling the house out all day with slow cooking beans (not my favourite smell) might be a downside, but then I'm a dried bean novice, what do I know. PS, P seems to have repaired the pressure cooker if only temporarily. YAY!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I freeze beans. Definitely not as good as fresh but I wouldn’t call them overly offensive. I blanch , pat dry as best I can, bag or tub then freeze. Cook from frozen either in a curry, stir fry or steamer . In steamer only until defrosted & warmed through about 5 mins.
I’m also a bean drying novice but want to do a lot more of it. I just got myself a pressure cooker (mostly) just for bean rehydrating. All I got to do now is learn how to use it!
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Beans are definitely a "staple" for me. The kids always ate a lot of chilli.
I often do beans and tomatoes for me for lunch ( if I'm out of sardines Big Grin)
But I've always had the aga - bung them in, smells go up the chimney and job done!
Oh, I really miss that cooker....

Though will still have tons of beans growing as it's a good food with little effort?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
P is having beans at every meal and hasn't complained yet. We're having them instead of pots/rice/pasta and even without a sauce they're scrummy.
I don't know why I've never saved and dried beans in all the years I've been growing green beans. Many thanks to Scarlet and her little packet of mystery beans, it's opened a whole new world to me. I think Meuch is my favourite and have discovered different beans take different times to get soft.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I grow french beans and broad beans mainly for drying, A few for eating fresh/freezing. The frozen one are done like PyrennesPlot, no idea what the varieties are though.

Broad beans are probably the easiest as just plant and wait till pods are black. To use, I soak for a couple of days then remove the skins by cutting in half along their length. Not sure if there is an easier way but do when there is something good on radio. They only take about a 10 to 15 minutes simmering then to cook.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie