Summer house ideas
SarrissUK Offline
We have a little summer house at the moment - it's kind of an odd shape with a permanent opening. It's a bit ramshackle to be honest, and Jay has his heart set on a new summer house with sliding or opening glass doors along most of the length of the 'rectangle' facing the house, and thus also the afternoon/evening sun.

We will draw electric into it, probably also have the existing solar panels set up on the roof, which needs to slope backwards towards the back of the garden, if that makes sense. I'd quite a little sink of some kind put in, but not sure about rules around the waste.

Have you built one? What tips and tricks do you have up your sleeves? What would you do, if you built one again? What's on your wishlist?
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB

Farendwoman Offline
Sounds like the sort of structure we would all enjoy. Looking forward to seeing the replies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man

Baldy Offline
I can recommend tuin though they aren't cheap
https://www.tuin.co.uk/summerhouses.html

- whether you use them or not they have lots of info on the site and their blogs are very useful / insightful in terms of construction considerations, materials, positioning etc etc
[-] The following 3 users Like Baldy's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Baldy Offline
We spent a fair bit on our and me and a mate put it together - he did about 75% and was the 'brains' of the operation. We measured everything 3 times, made sure that the base was solid and square - then spent two hours after we'd put the wall up wondering why nothing was square - we forgot that the wood structure was reliant on being pulled in together - so rather than put the roof on (which fundamentally would have pulled everyrhing together - we lashed rope in just to be sure we'd done it right.
We had, we (he) was just more used to construction with bricks and mortar...

Double glaze. Insulate.
[-] The following 3 users Like Baldy's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Baldy Offline
Took me a year to build Wink

(not really)
[-] The following 4 users Like Baldy's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie