Which ones need the greenhouse?
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I have no greenhouse experience, but am aware that some tomato varieties will be much happier/more likely to ripen in a greenhouse than outside. I have ended up with seeds from more than 20 varieties of tomato (mostly sent by you guys!) There's no way that I can grow them all this year, but I'd like to give quite a few a go so need to start planning now.

To help me, I wonder if anyone can tell me which of these would really only be worth growing in a greenhouse? I've left out the ones I know are micro-dwarfs as I know they will do fine in a sunny window.

Alicante
Atomic grape
Blush
Buffalo Horn
Cherry Tomato Mix
EM Champion
Gaillardia
Galina
Golden Grape 
Mat-Su Express
Malachite Box
Maskotka
Matt's Hornett
Northern Lights
Orange banana
Orange jazz
Oregon Spring 
Red Veranda 
Tigerella - this is very old seed so getting sown this year no matter what.

The reason I ask is that I want to get the tomatoes that will end up in the greenhouse into the propagator today, but I have a huge amount of work stuff on and don't have the time to research each tomato variety right now. Hoping the hive mind can help me out!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think it's very early to sow tomatoes even if they go out to the greenhouse they will need warmth to grow - I would hang fire a month.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I don't grow any tomatoes outdoors because of blight. There are some blight-resistant toms (they say) but they're not on your list.
There's plenty of time to sow tomatoes so don't rush.

PS Gaillardia is a flower.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(13-02-2022, 02:56 PM)Veggie Wrote: I don't grow any tomatoes outdoors because of blight. There are some blight-resistant toms (they say) but they're not on your list.
There's plenty of time to sow tomatoes so don't rush.

PS Gaillardia is a flower.

So it is! Wonder how I managed to put that one on my tomato list? Big Grin
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(13-02-2022, 02:14 PM)Proserpina Wrote: I have no greenhouse experience, but am aware that some tomato varieties will be much happier/more likely to ripen in a greenhouse than outside. I have ended up with seeds from more than 20 varieties of tomato (mostly sent by you guys!) There's no way that I can grow them all this year, but I'd like to give quite a few a go so need to start planning now.

To help me, I wonder if anyone can tell me which of these would really only be worth growing in a greenhouse? I've left out the ones I know are micro-dwarfs as I know they will do fine in a sunny window.

Alicante
Atomic grape
Blush
Buffalo Horn
Cherry Tomato Mix
EM Champion
Gaillardia
Galina
Golden Grape 
Mat-Su Express
Malachite Box
Maskotka
Matt's Hornett
Northern Lights
Orange banana
Orange jazz
Oregon Spring 
Red Veranda 
Tigerella - this is very old seed so getting sown this year no matter what.

The reason I ask is that I want to get the tomatoes that will end up in the greenhouse into the propagator today, but I have a huge amount of work stuff on and don't have the time to research each tomato variety right now. Hoping the hive mind can help me out!
Most cherries/smaller fruited varieties do fine outside, until blight comes of course. Growing larger fruited varieties outside is more of a risk since if blight comes early like last year, you'll lose the crop. 

Malachite Box and Mat-Su Express are both early but I've not grown either of them outdoors. Mat-Su Express was the earliest to ripen last year, followed by Malachite Box. Northern Lights is supposed to be early but actually ripened a bit later. Orange Jazz will do better in a greenhouse, it was one of the slowest to ripen for me last year. Orange Banana and Buffalo Horn, being late ripening, would definitely do better in a greenhouse. 

Most determinates are earlier so will do better outside than indeterminates. EM Champion was excellent for us outside last year, huge cropper and fairly early to ripen for a big fruited variety. Maskotka is fine outside. Oregon Spring is supposed to be very early.

I've got some very early tomatoes on the go as an experiment, but won't be sowing any more until March.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Garrett Online
Galina and Golden Grape are both fine outside.

Galina is a potato leaf yellow cherry vine.
Golden Grape is a yellow grape determinate/bush.
[-] The following 4 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm kind of surprised. Having, as usual, too many tomato seedlings, I potted one or two into 6" pots and left them on the staging in an unheated gh. Admittedly they were covered with fleece if the night was chilly (sometimes below freezing) and told them to fend for themselves. One tumbling Tom yellow is flowering, in desperation perhaps Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Garrett, Proserpina