Am I the only one............
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't think I'm a "throw away" person....but I don't buy it in the first place. I hate clutter and gadgets. If I do have to buy something I try not to buy tat that ends up in the bin in a few months time.

Though very miffed off that my magimix bowl has split, I've fixed it a few times but it's really time for the bin and I'm super shocked at how much they charge for a replacement Sad
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I get laughed at for my refusal to believe the dates on food in the fridge. They laugh at me and say that presented with something two months out of date, I'd say "It'll be fine if it smells ok". Well.. I wouldn't, not for fresh food, but I do believe in scraping the mould off and tasting it to see if it's ok. I hate waste. I'm teaching them that a bag of spuds that are past their sell by date but haven't even gone wrinkly yet really can be eaten and you'd never know lol

I'm apparently also the queen of tat. That's my gardening stuff that not yet has a place in the garden, but I know it will when I get to it Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-02-2022, 07:18 PM)Veggie Wrote: I feel I must make it clear that I did not grow up in the war years - I wasn't even a twinkle then!
Lies, all lies, we all know she's Methuselah's sister. Tongue
Perhaps, with the cost of everything going up by the day and resources running out, people will realise that you can't keep buying new.  Don't hold your breath, when designers design in planned obsolescence and spares are unavailable, we repairers and recyclers don't stand a chance, but that doesn't stop us trying!! Keep up the good fight.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(11-02-2022, 10:48 AM)JJB Wrote: ] Don't hold your breath, when designers design in planned obsolescence and spares are unavailable, we repairers and recyclers don't stand a chance, but that doesn't stop us trying!! Keep up the good fight.

It really annoys me when something comes with a "lifetime guarantee" and when you read the small print it is actually 10 years. Whose lifetime is that, then? Not even the lifetime of a well cared for dog!
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 4 users Like Moth's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
In keeping with the title "Am I the only one who picks up stranded worms on wide paths/roads and puts them back onto soil or a grass verge?" Huh I am not a Buddhist but if reincarnation is a posibility, I'm taking no chances! Big Grin 

Apart from that it just seems the 'right' thing to do! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 8 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, SarrissUK, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
No, Vinny, you're not alone. I've done the same and we occasionally find newts in the soil up the garden looking half dead. I trundle down to the pond and put them in the water and they immediately perk up and swim away. On the other hand I do put leatherjackets and chafer grubs out in the sun to pickle in the forlorn hope they might get eaten.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well done, Vinny. I hope you're not the only one - although, I don't often see a stranded worm on a path!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

Admin Offline
The Boss
I have no strange collections except 13 wheelbarrows....as for strange habits...socks are always left-foot first
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 6 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Moth, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(11-02-2022, 06:12 PM)JJB Wrote: ... we occasionally find newts in the soil up the garden looking half dead. I trundle down to the pond and put them in the water and they immediately perk up and swim away

Newts breed in ponds during the spring, but mostly spend the rest of the year on land eating worms,caterpillars, slugs, and other creepy crawlies. When disturbed they may roll on their backs and play dead, showing their orange underbelly. You don't need to put them back in water.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Good to know Moth.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man