Making compost bins
Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I currently have a rather sad looking compost pile. I'm going to be adding kitchen scraps until I get my wormery back, but I'm worried about them blowing around. I'd definitely like some walls/compost bays sooner rather than later.

I have lots of wood from fitted wardrobes I've taken apart, but it's coated MDF from the late 70s/early 80s so suspect it shouldn't be anywhere near compost for veggies. There's also some random bits of wood in the greenhouse that don't look like they've been coated in anything, but I don't know their provenance. Finally, there's my fence from the bottom of the garden which is semi-rotten and mostly blown down. It needs removing regardless, but some of the wood might hold up for a year or two if repurposed into a compost bin. Except that's probably been treated too...

Would you use any of this wood? If not, what would you use to construct a compost bin? I'd prefer to avoid the dalek style bins if possible. Given current prices, it could get quite expensive to buy enough wood to make bins and I don't have a source for pallets.

What have you all used? What would you recommend?
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Pallets are the easiest if you can find 4 lying around. Keep your eye on locals having building work done.
Similarly, builder's dumpy bags have loops on each corner that can be staked to keep the bag open.
Chicken wire, or any wire fencing that you can bend into a circle.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have one Dalek that I inherited and two dumy bags I set up myself. My intention is to build compost bins into an unused corner of the plot using the existing corner of the fence already in position. I have a couple of lumps of tin sheeting about 1 metre square which I will use for the sides sutably staked. Its surprising how much material I get from the plot, including weeds and comfrey, and with the kitchen waste brought from home I have adequate compost to cover my cardboard on beds! Cool Cardboard makes the best compost, either added to the bins in small quantities or applied to the beds then covered with compost.My plot has never had so many worms in it, which to me is a measure of fertility! Smile

I am waiting for the supermarkets to get there compost offers in. Five bags for a tenner goes a long way when spread on top of cardboard! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Spec Offline
As Veggie said builders bags are good for making compost bins if you think they are too big, put a post, or slat of wood or even a brush shaft at the corners tack the bag to the wood and roll it up a bit then tack again have the wood long enough to allow you to stick it into the ground, two corners would be enough for holding it if you have a problem getting wood, but better with wood at each corner and if you can't pick up a bag free I think B&Q sell them
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
If you have transport a local freecycle site might have pallets going for free, but they would need collecting.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina

SarrissUK Offline
I have been known to do mini compost bags by cutting out a square in the bottom of a blue bag from that Swedish furniture shop and stuff that full of compostable material. The bag lasts a couple of seasons and cheap as chips.

Pallets can be lined with them too, if you have a surplus, to make a compost bay last longer.

Or get hold of wooden posts, and if you saw out a space vertically on two sides of the posts, then slot in random bits of wood that are long enough to fit between the posts. Not sure if that makes any sense what so ever lol I'd say that's the best solution long term as posts last for a long time, and the wood slats can be changed out as they deteriorate.
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Have you looked on your council recycling website? They often do deals on compost bins....and there's usually loads offered free or very cheaply on FB market place
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie