Cooking with tins?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Goes against all my principles of using fresh food, but have to say some interesting recipes to try from store cupboard produce.! Rolleyes Smile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/c..._with_tins
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I often use tinned food, which doesn't at all go against my principles - all the metal tins are recycled, and I've done that since I was a tiny tot.

I prefer tinned sweetcorn to frozen, tinned tomatoes are an important part of breakfast here, tuna and tinned baked beans - well, I know of no more common staple!

Even tinned new potatoes are well used in this house, as they're so quick for lunch, and really lovely if fried up with some veggies.

I can't abide by tinned meats though, spam or ham or any such thing. Yuck.
And the breakfast in a tin? No thanks. I'd rather have porridge, and I really don't like porridge.
[-] The following 5 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(06-02-2022, 01:02 PM)Vinny Wrote: Goes against all my principles of using fresh food, but have to say some interesting recipes to try from store cupboard produce.! Rolleyes Smile

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/c..._with_tins
What about all that Tuna you eat on Tuesday.  Don't tell me that's fresh and you caught it in the lake. Wink

I don't have a problem with tinned stuff - especially when it comes to things like chickpeas and beans that can take forever to soak and cook from dried.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth

Vinny Offline
I am trying to foster a strategy of not eating much that has a label on it. If its got a label its usually got additives. Not anal about it but trying my best! Smile

Must admit I am tempted by utilising tinned stuff in a different way though. Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
RE the additives thingy, the closer you can get to basics, the less likely they are to have additives. So a tin of plain haricot beans is OK but put them in a sauce and sell them as baked beans and then you see all the additives and E numbers flashing up.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth, PyreneesPlot, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Even a shop bought apple or lemon has additives, they're covered in wax!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Those dammed additives, you just can't get away from them! Angry Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
I buy lots of tinned tomatoes, assorted beans and chick peas they're handy and quick. Home made humus is much nicer than store bought.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Moth, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I figure I'm too old to worry about additives now, I've eaten huge amounts in my time and the damage is done Big Grin tinned food is fine by me but I draw the line at turkey twizzlers. BTW I do love a bit of butterscoth angel delight, a lovely bowl of pure chemicals. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(07-02-2022, 11:18 AM)JJB Wrote: I figure I'm too old to worry about additives now, I've eaten huge amounts in my time and the damage is done Big Grin tinned food is fine by me but I draw the line at turkey twizzlers. BTW I do love a bit of butterscoth angel delight, a lovely bowl of pure chemicals. Smile
I know what you mean about turkey twizzlers! Blush I bought some once to try. It was like chewing on a giant rubber band! Angry Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Veggie