Starting a patch from scratch
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-02-2022, 11:39 AM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I'm another one picking bits of plastic from broken down weed membrane out of my garden - and that is just what has gone under paths and gravel, but still after a decade it has started to distintegrate.
Cardboard and manure or compost would be my way forward, too. If you have time/energy space you could lift the turves, stack and make loam if you think you might need soil elsewhere, but it's probably best just broken down in situe.
I am a fan of grass paths, I like the look, they have lots of flowers in them (I know, weeds!) but i do have the time to cut them. If starting today I probably would just use chippings for paths!

I love grass paths but we only have a ride on mower - so access and width of paths between beds become an issue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-02-2022, 11:57 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 12:19 PM)Scarlet Wrote: The area is 30ft x14ft - grassed. There are trees nearby so it does have roots underground - but no other options. 

How would you tackle this. 
I would like to go no dig? I ave weed membrane - and more wood chips than you can imagine. A small amount of compost, manure and lots of card

Can I just cover with card and go for it ....
 I'd divide it in two - two 14' square beds with a 2' foot-ish path across the middle. Then grow your flowers in 14' long rows, in whichever direction works best for light and access.
I will draw out what I have tomorrow - that may change your mind.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Its your mind that needs making up, not mine, I'm just a random ideas person that likes stirring the pot. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-02-2022, 11:26 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its your mind that needs making up, not mine, I'm just a random ideas person that likes stirring the pot. Big Grin
I can't do random. I have to be able to mow and keep the weeds down. I have an acre to look after so it has to work.
  • Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
The rows need to be staked and netted/supported. Flowers without it aren't great for cutting. Random means extra tying in and string. I can't do that.
  • Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So two photo - one from the garden. One from the veg plot:

Random -
Planted in a border in the garden. More staking at they aren't in rows. Lots of tying in. More prone to falling over and wind damage. Difficult to access.

Planted formally. Tight spacing. Netted oonce meant no tying in. Long straight stems. No wind damage. Easy to pick as a path to walk down. Not so time consuming. No weeds as planted tight.
  • PyreneesPlot, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I can see that you may need straight lines for picking - I just couldn't do it myself.
Do you want a 30' long row or a 14' row going across the bed?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I would be interested to know how this went (or didn't), Scarlet. I've got a piece of grassland about 40' x 20' that I'm thinking of using for planting, probably veg but could be flowers as well but don't think I'm up to digging it over and it is likely full of couch, nettles and docks. I don't have access to masses of cardboard so was thinking of using grass cuttings as I can generate a lot of those. Not sure if that would be a success though as, when I mulched the greenhouse last year to go away for the week, field voles moved in and were uprooting the tomato plants and digging everywhere. I think beans, peas, broadbeans squash and courgettes could be planted through a mulch. Potatoes possibly in a second or subsequent year. Onions beetroot carrots might have to wait a bit.

Has anyone tried just using grass cuttings or do you think it could be problematic?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve used grass cuttings to mound up spuds (in bags ) and use it as a mulch around leek. Not convinced it’s great for spuds ( again might be better for spuds in the ground) , works brilliant for leeks. Not had a problem with vermin because of grass cuttings anyway.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
I use grass clippings as mulch for most things except salad leaves. They're an excellent source of nitrogen which is probably the most important plant nutrient. They dry out in the sun and form a straw-like mat which you can easily move aside before planting.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie