Starting a patch from scratch
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I use grass cuttings for lots of mulch- t used it for veg/in between the bean poles etc.

What I did was, mow and dumped the grass over the beds. Covered with anything I could find and left it, weighted down with bricks.
This spring i lifted it and laid weed membrane paths...one bed I planted straight in, the other two I covered with weed membrane, burnt holes in it and planted through it.

I would love to be able to source enough compost/manure to cover the lot - unfortunately its just too big. Compost was £90 a tonne, it doesn't go very far.
Last year I managed to get some manure that I knew was a safe bet, but the petrol, man power was a huge expense for the area it covered and the weeds from it have been a pain. Its also dried out very easily.

The weed membrane beds / I burnt holes for planting pockets. Filled each hole with a handful of compost. planted out quite small seedlings.
It has worked really well - i have found that the weed membrane has also kept the moisture in, so helped hugely. I would hope that eventually i can reuse the weed membrane elsewhere- but
I will keep it in place for next year too.

It hasnt shredded. Any bit of loose bits I blasted with a blow torch to melt it. I pegged it all down.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mark_Riga, MartinH, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
Where I mulched the veg patch last year with grass cuttings resulted in masses of grass seedlings the next spring.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mark_Riga, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(10-09-2023, 09:22 AM)JJB Wrote: Where I mulched the veg patch last year with grass cuttings resulted in masses of grass seedlings the next spring.
Best to cut the grass before the seeds form. Though I don't find grass seedlings too hard to pull out as their roots are shallow, just a bit of an annoyance. Our Linkabord raised beds absolutely cook in the sun so a few weeds doesn't bother me as much as having to water so frequently and rewet bone dry soil.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie