Onion sets 2022
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have already received 120 Senshyu sets and planted 42 early as an experiment. I am waiting for my DT Brown order of 50 Electric,50 white onions and 50 Radar, ordered when it was free postage. Cool
I have seen decent autumn planted onions grown from sets planted right up until Xmas, so I am in no hurry to get them planted. Rolleyes

I always plant direct and can't see any benefit from planting in trays or modules?. To me it's just another stage (planting out) where they could get a check which could cause them to bolt? Sick
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I'm trying seeds this year. Got about 180 Senshyu seedlings in modules. I think they are going to be more vulnerable to pests than sets would be but far cheaper.

https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ...yu-yellow/
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've ordered their yellow Sweet Spanish Utah onion seeds. https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/produ...nish-utah/
Like the thought of an onion weighing a pound that's sweet enough to eat like an apple.
Mine will probably be about the size of a blackcurrant and mouth-puckeringly tart.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've sown a row of senshyu seeds outdoors for the first time ever. They're popping up as we speak. Are they winter hardy? Never really had success with onions from seed, also never sown in autumn. What do I do next? I think the likelihood of neglect is on the cards. They'll need thinning I expect so I can hedge my bets and pot up the thinnings and keep them undercover I suppose.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
I prefer growing from seed too, since it's cheaper and they're less likely to bolt than sets. Unfortunately the Element F1 and Toughball F1 seeds (hybrids are supposed to be less prone to bolting) I ordered from SeedMegastore were treated, and treated/pelleted seed doesn't store as long and shouldn't be sold after a certain date. Out of 150 seeds I only have 35 seedlings, so the sets are my backup plan.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
(15-09-2022, 09:43 AM)JJB Wrote: I've sown a row of senshyu seeds outdoors for the first time ever. They're popping up as we speak. Are they winter hardy? Never really had success with onions from seed, also never sown in autumn. What do I do next? I think the likelihood of neglect is on the cards. They'll need thinning I expect so I can hedge my bets and pot up the thinnings and keep them  undercover I suppose.
I've not grown that variety but all autumn sown onions are winter hardy. I've pricked mine out in to modules are they'll go in to the greenhouse border in October. The sets will go outside somewhere. Similar to garlic, they grow slowly over winter then in February as the days get longer they explode with growth. They will be healthier (as they won't get battered by storms etc.) and earlier to harvest undercover but it's not necessary.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(15-09-2022, 11:39 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I prefer growing from seed too, since it's cheaper and they're less likely to bolt than sets. Unfortunately the Element F1 and Toughball F1 seeds (hybrids are supposed to be less prone to bolting) I ordered from SeedMegastore were treated, and treated/pelleted seed doesn't store as long and shouldn't be sold after a certain date. Out of 150 seeds I only have 35 seedlings, so the sets are my backup plan.
I grew Senshyu from seed one year. I also had low germination rates and the seed was expensive so I've always went with sets from then on. The plants that did germinate and grow weren't half as good as the sets I planted that year either. Sick
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie