MINT
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-01-2022, 11:29 AM)Small chilli Wrote: How about sage as well that smells lovely and has all sorts of different colour foliage.
I will do some research - though I'm on clay here and even though I love Sage never have any - same with thyme as they hate my soil.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Pots on your patio!!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-01-2022, 12:11 PM)Veggie Wrote: Pots on your patio!!!
Yes! I don't do pots do the the watering/meter thing but on my patio I'm allowed a few especially as they will also be used in the kitchen.

Currently deciding whether to keep the Patio open to the garden or hedge it all in to make a "room". I have approx 40 taxus saplings to play with. All those I bought last year and grew on in pots have done very well Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm on a water meter too. The waterbutts and odd water from the kitchen (from running the hot tap until its hot enough and washing veg type stuff) is enough for the GHs and pots.
Taxus make me think of churchyards and cemeteries - they're dark and gloomy - so I wouldn't be planting those around my patio!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-01-2022, 01:13 PM)WVeggie Wrote: I'm on a water meter too. The waterbutts and odd water from the kitchen (from running the hot tap until its hot enough and washing veg type stuff) is  enough for the GHs and pots.
Taxus make me think of churchyards and cemeteries - they're dark and gloomy - so I wouldn't be planting those around my patio!
We have had this taxus discussion before! It's a perfect hedge for an old farmhouse...it looks fabulous near old stonework and the berries are fab for birds - as is the hedge itself for nesting ones. I have a few already and one always has a blackbird nest in it. I won't plant box - and there's nothing much else that will be of any use - it's also fabulous for Xmas decorations.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
We've had most of our discussions before. Wink
When we moved here there was an Irish Yew in the front garden. It spread upwards and outwards until it was touching the front hedge. We tried tying it together to control the spread but it would spring out. You couldn't cut a branch out as it left a bare gap. Finally, we cut the top level as it was blocking so much light from the house and garden.
When a neighbour told us it looked like Marge Simpson, we decided enough was enough. The tree was cut down and we put a beehive over the stump to disguise it.
However, the yew lives on........it has self seeded in the front hedge and there's one in the back hedge too - I blame the birds for that.
I know that whatever I think won't affect whatever you want to do - but I like saying it anyway. Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli

Spec Offline
Interesting thread, I have three mint plants, one just labelled as mint, another a spearmint and also an apple mint all in individual tubs, but I have a large 30inch diameter pot in which I could grow 4, 6 or 9 individual plants, depending on how much room I would need to give them, I wouldn't be growing for culinary use, but do like the idea of growing for foliage
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-01-2022, 05:08 PM)LSpec Wrote: Interesting thread, I have three mint plants, one just labelled as mint, another a spearmint and also an apple mint all in individual tubs, but I have a large 30inch diameter pot in which I could grow 4, 6 or 9 individual plants, depending on how much room I would need to give them, I wouldn't be growing for culinary use, but do like the idea of growing for foliage
There's a couple that I have found that are fab for cut flowers/decorative.
This one grows to 2ft tall and says the flowers are lovely, attractive foliage and good for pollinators. Though currently out of stock.
https://www.norfolkherbs.co.uk/product/m...ongifolia/
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Spec, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-01-2022, 05:08 PM)Spec Wrote: Interesting thread, I have three mint plants, one just labelled as mint, another a spearmint and also an apple mint all in individual tubs, but I have a large 30inch diameter pot in which I could grow 4, 6 or 9 individual plants, depending on how much room I would need to give them, I wouldn't be growing for culinary use, but do like the idea of growing for foliage
Don’t grow different varieties of mint together . They will loose their individual fragrance/flavour. 
heard it on GQT and have experienced it myself.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Spec, Veggie