Scarlets Cut Flower Patch 2022/23/24
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Phew! Are all these sown with some warmth, Scarlet?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-02-2023, 10:03 AM)JJB Wrote: Phew!  Are all these sown with some warmth, Scarlet?
Yes, I start everythibg off in heated propagators in the house and move out to the greenhouse when I see a speck of green. They are all mostly hardy so do fine.

I use unheated propagators, or trays with plastic lids/meat trays etc for some protection.

It seems a lot but I single sow most things in modules - so not hundreds if plants. I dont want to waste seed or compost by sowing tons that I wont have space for in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Feb 26th

Snap dragons sown 1 Jan

Sahara rudbeckia- I think these take ages so always start early.

Larkspur sown early Jan, my early sowings in the greenhouse disnt make it during the frosts. Thats a first for me. I have larkspur from an Autumn sowing every year - I hope these catch up.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Feb 26

Hibiscus Mahogany Splendor - Im trying these for cut foliage. I think there were 10 seeds in the pack. 8 germinated, 2 didnt get their seed casings off and shrivelled.

Also trying eucalyptus from seed - dont know why Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
A little update on my greenhouse seedlings...Hibiscus Mahogany Splendor - £3 for 10 seed - 8popped, 2 didnt get out of their seeded casings, 4 have grown well, 2'are very slow. Unfortunately their seed leaves are dying off early/ not the right temp? Not sure,but Im keeping my fingers crossed... but so fussy.    

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ranunculas update 16March
I lost loads in the frost - anything that was left in pot Sad just didnt make it - lots that were planted got eaten by voles. I have learnt lots of lessons.... but things have improved, slow going due to the cold Spring.             

So the taller ones are those at the back of the GH that werent eaten, left hand border of the greenhouse with smaller plants that were planted up at the end of Jan. The pots will be planted out in a month, hoping to extend the cutting window

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller

Eucalyptus- photo taken March 16

These were sown in Jan, they are slowly getting their real first leaves. Fabulous germination. I had a pack of silver dollar - 8/10 Baby blue from moles - pack sizes were large, 40+ have popped.
I was hoping to eventually put a eucalyptus "hedge" in somewhere...but that frost last Dec killed my Eucs that I had already growing, so perhaps this iant auch a great idea after all. Im interested to see how fast they grow though. I wont be able to keep them all Sad
  • MartinH, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
You want to do a cutting/young plant swap Scarlet ?  Blush  
It would be sad to see you compost the ones you can’t keep. I’d love to have a go at growing eucalyptus. I might have something I could swap. I’ll have a look later and make a list of thing that might tempt you  Blush .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I woukdnt want to send yet....they have barely moved, they might die yet Big Grin but happy to send a couple. Not worried about swaps x
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Oh thank you  Blush . No, no I definitely didn’t mean now. When they’re a bit bigger. I’m in no rush at all.  Blush .

I’ll be honest I do have seeds myself but I’ve never sown any yet  Sad  Blush I assumed they’d take a very long time to germinate. They’re one of the many packets earmarked for when I’m in my new house. 

When I’m in my new house is going to be written on my flipping tombstone    Rolleyes Cool
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie