Scarlets Cut Flower Patch 2022/23/24
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Frost already. Sad
Sorry about your dahlias - we'll miss them too. Do you have other flowers you can put in bunches?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
No, I did consider growing chrysanthemum - but I really didn't have any space left. I was hoping that i could go until the end of Oct... most if my bunches were dahlias the last couple of weeks.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Last year I was given some roots of a purple/blue ?michaelmas daisy. Not tall and leggy but quite compact. They'd look lovely in a bunch.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(11-10-2022, 08:10 PM)Veggie Wrote: Last year I was given some roots of a purple/blue ?michaelmas daisy. Not tall and leggy but quite compact. They'd look lovely in a bunch.
I have a couple if varieties of michaelmas daisies... but Ive been using those as fillers. Ive a few helichrysum and some foliage but Im not sure they will stop the cars like the dahlias.
Ive a few vabascum that are also flowering but not enough in numbers to do enough bunches for everyday... maybe i'll try for one last weekend sale.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
A few lengths of garden fleece might have helped you get to the end of the month.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(11-10-2022, 09:09 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: A few lengths of garden fleece might have helped you get to the end of the month.
Yes, I could kick mysef Sad I will be ready next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
We had your frost too Scarlet, my dahlias are alright ATM but some of the summer bedding copped it.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Scarlet

Farendwoman Offline
Yes - also had our first frost which walloped most of my little Greek basil seedlings..
Won’t have much for my stall this Friday - just a few rudbeckia, hesperanthus (kaffir lilies), English marigolds and helichrysum (straw flowers) which are still producing.
Hope to make enough to cover the cost of the stall and parking!
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-10-2022, 11:44 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: Yes - also had our first frost which walloped most of my little Greek basil seedlings..
Won’t have much for my stall this Friday - just a few rudbeckia, hesperanthus (kaffir lilies), English marigolds and helichrysum (straw flowers) which are still producing.
Hope to make enough to cover the cost of the stall and parking!
Have you thought of doing Chrysanthemums? Are they too much like supermarket flowers? i have one patch of dahlias that were protected in the middlw of another border... If i had grown something else that wasnt so tender i maybe could have carried on another couple of weeks... possible not worth the outlay/compost.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
Thanks for suggestion, Scarlet.
Just don’t have room for chrysanthemums - my little patch is full up with summer stuff, and I don’t get any space till I rip it all out.
And, of course, I don’t rip it out till I’m absolutely convinced that it’s finished!
(By which time it’s too late to think about autumn flowering things).
I do like chrysanthemums though, and there are some smashers around.
I’d have to follow you and rip up the lawn if I wanted to grow them. And you thought you were too old to do that at 54!
Add on another sixteen years to that, and you see my problem!
[-] The following 5 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny