Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
"can" or "can't". ?
I have 48 "cans" now.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth

SarrissUK Offline
I love tuna, but no one else in the house likes them. I should still buy them considering I work from home just about every day now and need quick, reliable lunches. Lidl tomorrow, I think! Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(14-01-2022, 07:54 PM)Veggie Wrote: The Moneyless Chicken broke into the Egg Bank today and withdrew £14.99 to take up a very special LIDL offer on tuna fish. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/xxl/nixe-tuna-case/p49194
48 tins of Tuna for £14.99 or 31.2p a tin - about half price.
Tuna is so versatile - in sandwiches, salad, jacket potatoes,fishcakes, pasta, stirfry etc. Those 48 tins will be one meal a week for nearly a year. Not bad for £14.99. Big Grin
You will probably ingest that much mercury you could be used as a human  thermometer! Big Grin

https://www.edf.org/oceans/mercury-alert...-tuna-safe
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
The temperatures rising,
It isn't surprising
I certainly can, can. can.........

Just checked the tins - its Skipjack tuna chunks in brine, drained weight 105gr. That's the lower mercury tuna - if I'm reading the article correctly?

When I was a young un and suffereing with tonsillitus, the Doctor did a house call (remember those days?) and he dropped his thermometer in the bedroom. The mercury rolled out on the floor (probably lino as we had very little carpet). My brother and I spent hours playing with the mercury, rolling it around the floor, making it into bigger balls or streams. We've survived so far. Wink
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, MartinH, Moth, Norfolk Grey

JJB Online
Moonraker
(15-01-2022, 08:26 PM)Veggie Wrote: The temperatures rising,
It isn't surprising
I certainly can, can. can.........

Just checked the tins - its Skipjack tuna chunks in brine, drained weight 105gr. That's the lower mercury tuna - if I'm reading the article correctly?

When I was a young un and suffereing with tonsillitus, the Doctor did a house call (remember those days?) and he dropped his thermometer in the bedroom. The mercury rolled out on the floor (probably lino as we had very little carpet). My brother and I spent hours playing with the mercury, rolling it around the floor, making it into bigger balls or streams. We've survived so far. Wink

I've much the same story. I had a plastic maze with a blob of mercury instead of a  marble. Of course I broke the plastic to get the mercury out to play with. Fascinating stuff it broke up into bits only to amalgamate,  I think it disappeared into bits in the carpet.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, MartinH, Moth, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
When i was a kid,a freind of mines Dad was a film projectionist (Remember those things called Cinema's?) Anyway, as a kid he had a big jar of Mercury his Dad gave him. We used to play with it!  In retrospect we also used to play in a local tip (I made many a bike from spare parts thrown away) which I now believe had asbestos dumped there. We used to throw the stuff at each other and get a belt around the lugole for being like a Homepride flower grader when we got in. I guess we were lucky that neither substance killed us! (eek)
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
The Nanny State has taken a lot of fun out of our lives!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
As most of you know, The Moneyless Chicken has invested some egg money in a Food Dehydrator in the hope that this will mean less food waste and increased ability to deal with yellow sticker gluts.
So far this year, I've bought NO clothes, shoes, soaps and toiletries, household cleaning products, books, seeds unless from individuals or charities or luxury foods at full price.

On the Freebie site, nobody has given away deodorant, toothpaste, or washing machine powder/liquid. May be forced to buy these when my stocks run out. Otherwise, I'm doing well on scrounging. Big Grin
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, PyreneesPlot

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Refreshing my memory about what I set out to do this year...........

So far this year, I've bought NO clothes, shoes, soaps and shampoos, household cleaning products, luxury foods, books or seeds (unless from individuals or charities) at full price. Trying not to buy compost or plants too.
I have had to buy deodorant, toothpaste and laundry liquid but I've bought own brand savers versions of all. Also bought 2, second hand books from Awesome Books.
So far, so good. Big Grin
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, SarrissUK, Small chilli