The Moneyless Chicken
SarrissUK Offline
I do love yellow stickers, and when I went to Ladi the german supermarket (is it actually German?) on Christmas eve, they'd just started putting 75% stickers onto all their party food. I'd only gone in for the 9p veggies, and came out with £130 worth of food for £30 odd. I was very happy indeed, and it's all in the freezer still. Apologies if I've posted about that on here already, I'm still so chuffed about it lol
[-] The following 5 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
Whilst I find it difficult to stop buying clothes, I'm very keen to keep waste down when it comes to food. They laugh at me in this house and call me the waste not queen. They also laugh at how I make a meal out of stuff in the fridge before it goes off. I wouldn't be any other way.

I will take this one step further this year, inspired by Veggie and make sure I use up what I've got before I buy more, of stuff that doesn't keep so well.
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
I think it's a very sensible ideal to try and reduce unnecessary spending to a minimum. We are also trying to eat down our freezer, not just to save money but also to make more space for freezing more veg and fruit from our garden in the coming year.
I have been trying to reduce spending on clothes over the last few years, not by buying cheaper clothes necessarily, rather by buying stuff that will last a long time, can be repaired etc. My last waterproof coat was replaced with a wax jacket to allow me to reproof, repair it in the future rather than having to buy a new waterproof jacket more often.
It should allow me in the future to spend less.
My daughters bike is good quality but bought second hand with a view to being used by both her and her little brother then either given ti a friend or sold on. I'm quite able to service the bikes, change cables, keep it oiled etc so they should last in good nick.
Our feelings in our house looking towards the future is to buy when we really need something, and when we are going to buy something buy the best, most long lasting and repairable we can to avoid having to buy twice or more and if it is something that will be outgrown etc should have a resale value.
I'm sure many would call it an old fashioned view point but it makes sense.
[-] The following 8 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Moth, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
Oh and the carrot jam turned out very nice! It's got oranges in the recipe, but I used clementines instead. I can't really taste the carrot in it, but I tried it when it was freshly made and still warm. I'll have some on toast in the morning and see if it's developed Smile

That was one kilo of carrots that I got for free in the surplus shop, and it made 4.5 jars of jam Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its "No Spend January" apparently https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59920978

The Frugal blogger says "I track no spend days - that's no eating out, no takeaways, no coffees, no alcohol, no paying for anything that isn't the bills and the food shop," says the 35-year-old teacher and mum-of-two.................. She does it for January, many of us do it all year round.

It amused me that this is Newsworthy.Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 7 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think in the 22 years I've been here we have had half a dozen takeaways....that was when the boys were about 10 and wanted Chinese, and we have had a couple of fish and chips. My one boy is allergic to white fish and often even the chips make him ill....husband had a gluten intolerance so most foods are a no no on takeaways. So it's often more complicated than the worth of it. It was always easier to go out and you can ask...,not done that in a while.

I can't remember my last coffee out either!

#bug I have spent a lot on the garden
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(11-01-2022, 09:19 PM)Veggie Wrote: The Frugal blogger says "I track no spend days - that's no eating out, no takeaways, no coffees, no alcohol, no paying for anything that isn't the bills and the food shop," says the 35-year-old teacher and mum-of-two.................. She does it for January, many of us do it all year round.

Such an American thing - to think life isn't complete without all those things. So many Americans, particularly in the cities, never ever cook - they always eat out or takeaway. It saddened me that the last time I went into Leicester (quite a long time ago now), one central street that used to have very high class shops - men's outfitters, ladies hats, quality china, (even a furrier back in the day) - now consists solely of eateries and take aways
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 5 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-01-2022, 11:51 PM)Jimny14 Wrote: I think it's a very sensible ideal to try and reduce unnecessary spending to a minimum. We are also trying to eat down our freezer, not just to save money but also to make more space for freezing more veg and fruit from our garden in the coming year.
I have been trying to reduce spending on clothes over the last few years, not by buying cheaper clothes necessarily, rather by buying stuff that will last a long time, can be repaired etc. My last waterproof coat was replaced with a wax jacket to allow me to reproof, repair it in the future rather than having to buy a new waterproof jacket more often.
It should allow me in the future to spend less.
My daughters bike is good quality but bought second hand with a view to being used by both her and her little brother then either given ti a friend or sold on. I'm quite able to service the bikes, change cables, keep it oiled etc so they should last in good nick.
Our feelings in our house looking towards the future is to buy when we really need something, and when we are going to buy something buy the best, most long lasting and repairable we can to avoid having to buy twice or more and if it is something that will be outgrown etc should have a resale value.
I'm sure many would call it an old fashioned view point but it makes sense.

(12-01-2022, 01:41 PM)Moth Wrote:
(11-01-2022, 09:19 PM)Veggie Wrote: The Frugal blogger says "I track no spend days - that's no eating out, no takeaways, no coffees, no alcohol, no paying for anything that isn't the bills and the food shop," says the 35-year-old teacher and mum-of-two.................. She does it for January, many of us do it all year round.

Such an American thing - to think life isn't complete without all those things. So many Americans, particularly in the cities, never ever cook - they always eat out or takeaway. It saddened me that the last time I went into Leicester (quite a long time ago now), one central street that used to have very high class shops - men's outfitters, ladies hats, quality china, (even a furrier back in the day) - now consists solely of eateries and take aways
My little town has several kebab shops! I've never seen anyone in them?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Samantha Grayer has been a No Spend January convert for four years - and her own personal version applies to fashion, beauty and lifestyle purchases.

"I apply it to anything I don't absolutely need like clothes, skincare and candles," says the 33-year-old fashion promotion lecturer at the University of Central Lancashire..

What about this one^^^ Can't remember the last time I bought candles!! ............and what is a "fashion promotion lecturer"???
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The Moneyless Chicken broke into the Egg Bank today and withdrew £14.99 to take up a very special LIDL offer on tuna fish. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/xxl/nixe-tuna-case/p49194
48 tins of Tuna for £14.99 or 31.2p a tin - about half price.
Tuna is so versatile - in sandwiches, salad, jacket potatoes,fishcakes, pasta, stirfry etc. Those 48 tins will be one meal a week for nearly a year. Not bad for £14.99. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga