The Moneyless Chicken
Bren Offline
(03-01-2024, 03:44 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: On Christmas Eve (remember that far back!) I picked up three (out of date) sourdough loaves from a stand outside my church. There was a sign saying." Please take - useful for breadcrumbs and stuffing".
This was at about 4 30pm when most people were already at home preparing for the big day. The stand was labelled "Reduce, Reuse,Recycle".
Anyway - my daughter was horrified that I had taken them from a what she called. Food bank.
She is really cross with me for "stealing from the needy".
Oh dear!!

The church on the next street does the same thing with what's leftover from the Food Bank,  its usually bakery items, fruit and veg that won't keep for the next session.   It's there for anyone to take and really its a shame if it doesn't get used.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
That's what I thought, Bren.
Thank you
I wouldn't have dreamed of taking it from people who needed it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(10-12-2023, 11:27 PM)Veggie Wrote: The Moneyless Chicken is approaching two years spending as little as possible on food, clothes and unnecessary stuff. I still haven't bought any clothes but I have had to buy a few electronic items this year which was a bit of a disappointment! My laptop had problems, including keys falling off!, so I bought a second hand replacement for it. It runs Windows 11 and, as I found out last night, the printer won't work with Win 11 and there are no drivers available to update it. Bought a cheap printer today. I also bought a cheap mobile phone in the summer as the old one couldn't be updated and, whilst not quite a gadget, I had to have a new electric shower installed. Its been an expensive year!! About £500 in total, otherwise, I've spent very little. Looking forward to another year of being tight!
[quote pid='58341' dateline='1704209624']
year.
[/quote]
My 18 year old microwave packed up yesterday. 
One dial for temperature, one dial for time. 
I have only used it for reheating coffee, reheating leftovers or making porridge, custard and scrambled egg. But it is used almost daily. 
It seems that most microwaves nowadays have digital displays and different buttons for all sorts of "recipes" 
Does anyone use all this tech?? 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
So poor ® has been sent off to Argos to get the nearest thing to our old microwave.
Sadly he is off to return it tomorrow. The box and description says 20 litres overall capacity......
But only 11 litres usable capacity.
What on earth does this mean!
In a nutshell, my measuring jug and "microwave dishes" that used to fit in my 15 litre microwave won't fit in this new 20 litre one!
Confused or what!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
That's daft! I suppose it means that the actual cavity is 20 litres but the bits in the corners that are unusable with a revolving turntable take up 9 litres.
I've no idea what size mine are (I have 2). They were both FREE. Beggars can't be choosers. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Nothing is basic in the electrical/electronics world these days. My 30 Yr old microwave/combi oven died and I've had the new one for some time but the extra features haven't been used because the instructions are absolute carp. It mw's fine but mixing in oven heat and the grill is a mystery.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie