2022 - What I sowed today
SarrissUK Offline
I laid out my new heatmat in the shed, as I don't have electric in the greenhouse, and for germination, it doesn't really need light.

I sowed both kinds of green tomato that Veggie kindly sent me - thank you so much Smile

I had spare slots in the tray for some kale too, so I sowed Borecole Red Russian too.

It was lovely to finally get my hands into compost again.
[-] The following 5 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Garrett, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Seeds that like a bit of cold weather before germination (so they say) :-

Angelica archangelica
Myrrhis odorata (Sweet Cicely)
Hablitzia tamnoides (Caucasian spinach)
Szechuan pepper
Crambe maritima (Sea kale)
Chaenomeles ex deep red (Japanese quince).

Sown in pots, will be kept outside on garden table. Good luck seeds. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Garrett, JJB, PyreneesPlot

MartinH Offline
Yesterday I sowed some white Campanula persicifolia and some white Viola cornuta.
Today I sowed some Trifolium panonicum and Hesperantha coccinea. These are both new to me so it'll be fun to see how they get on.

They are all sitting in the greenhouse waiting for spring, which will be soon I hope.
[-] The following 5 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Garrett, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-01-2022, 03:33 PM)Garrett Wrote: I haven't been sowing either. I'm recovering from eye surgery and all gardening was banned by my surgeon. I'm reading everyone's updates with great interest though!
It is too early to sow much - some flowers take ages to germinate so I'm only doing those.
I hope you feel better soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Garrett

Bren Offline
Spring onions, radishes and 4 types of lettuce all are on bedroom window sills.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Garrett Offline
I sowed some basil varieties:
Sweet basil
Dark Opal
Lemon basil

I haven't tried the lemon basil before so I'm intrigued to taste it.

I also sowed some Tom Thumb nasturtiums for my tortoise to enjoy when he comes out of hibernation. I usually forget to sow them early, but wrote a list this year.
[-] The following 4 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
It's a bit chilly & windy today!

Sowed some broad beans into modules & potted on my perennial kale/9-star broccoli.
Regards..........Danny Smile

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(30-01-2022, 05:20 PM)Garrett Wrote: I sowed some basil varieties:
Sweet basil
Dark Opal
Lemon basil

I haven't tried the lemon basil before so I'm intrigued to taste it.

I also sowed some Tom Thumb nasturtiums for my tortoise to enjoy when he comes out of hibernation. I usually forget to sow them early, but wrote a list this year.
I love lemon basil it - I used it a lot with fish dishes but found it trickier to grow than the usual one.

Farendwoman Offline
Sowed auricula today.
Am experimenting with the sowing medium …. So have taken five varieties of auricula and sowed each one into (i) neat vermiculite, (ii) Westland seed compost and (iii) cheapo multipurpose compost.
I ought to be using peat free I know - but my results with even cheap seeds haven’t been good so far.
It’ll be interesting to see how the results compare.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I got my chilli and sweet pepper seeds in the propagator last night (after soaking for 24 hours) - they are sown on damp kitchen towel in bags which is a trick I've picked up from Garden Myths. If it works, it will be a big help as I can prioritise window sill space for things that have actually sprouted, and I can fit a lot more seeds in my propagator when I don't have to squeeze lots of little pots in there!

I've also sown some mixed cold-weather salad - that's sown in compost as there were so many different kinds of seeds that will probably sprout at different times. I've not had great luck with salad mixes really - I'd rather sow a bit of this and a bit of that myself than use the mixes in future. Have a few to use up first though!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proserpina's post:
  • Veggie