Proserpina's Patch
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
All my GHs are on slabs or concrete from choice.  I have beds on 3 sides and there's plenty of room to grow stuff without worrying about roots and pests coming up in the soil from outside.
The compost in the beds in GH1 has been there for about 40 years. It has a top up every year when I empty the tomato pots on it but I've never had to remove any soil.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(05-02-2022, 11:52 PM)Veggie Wrote: All my GHs are on slabs or concrete from choice.  I have beds on 3 sides and there's plenty of room to grow stuff without worrying about roots and pests coming up in the soil from outside.
The compost in the beds in GH1 has been there for about 40 years. It has a top up every year when I empty the tomato pots on it but I've never had to remove any soil.

Do you mean you have beds on top of the slabs, Veggie? That's sort of what I was visualising for mine, but I wasn't sure if it would work. I suppose it's not really any different to having a big container on top of the slabs.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Have a look at my photos on the See Inside the GH thread https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...7#pid34677.
Basically, there are planks along each side of the GH, about 2' in from the glass, and another plank across the far end, so there are 2' wide beds all the way around the GH. I started with a couple of inches of compost in the beds and grow toms and peas in bottomless buckets resting on the compost. At the end of the year, the buckets are emptied on to the beds and the buckets are filled with new compost next year. You'd be amazed how many plants will grow in a few inches of soil.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(06-02-2022, 12:10 AM)Veggie Wrote: Have a look at my photos on the See Inside the GH thread https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.p...7#pid34677.
Basically, there are planks along each side of the GH, about 2' in from the glass, and another plank across the far end, so there are 2' wide beds all the way around the GH. I started with a couple of inches of compost in the beds and grow toms and peas in bottomless buckets resting on the compost. At the end of the year, the buckets are emptied on to the beds and the buckets are filled with new compost next year. You'd be amazed how many plants will grow in a few inches of soil.

Ah, that must be where I got the idea I have been visualising for my greenhouse!

Yes, that looks like a good way to do it. My greenhouse isn't as wide, and I think I will want some staging in there too... but I reckon I could have beds along two sides and then staging along the third. Going to need to get my hands on some planks! There are a few bits left behind in the garage, but some of those planks are covering the rather deep inspection pit, and I'll need to examine the others more closely to see if they may have been treated with anything nasty before I use them to construct a compost bin or greenhouse beds. (I have loads of wood from the fitted wardrobe I've taken apart and kitchen cabinet doors that I've removed, but don't think any of that belongs anywhere near a food garden!)
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Wow, you have so many things and garden to play with and put your own stamp on. No idea what I would do if it was mine but I would have fun. Love the idea of squash on the rockery maybe a few strawbs on the other side of the steps for easy picking as they are closer to the house. As for greenhouse I am another with beds on top of concrete, mine are egded with breeze block (the big grey things) so are only as high as the shortest side and they have been fab over the years for growing in. I did replace the soil in one when I moved here as it was stodgy and a bit worrying. I know it is not a priority but worthy of later consideration is how likely are you to go all the way to the end of the garden to water?

Good luck and keep posting x
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 4 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Pros, GH 2 is 6x10, about the same width as yours maybe?
There are 2' beds along 3 sides and a 2'path in the middle.
The bed on the left (the north side so less light) has staging on it with trays on top. In summer, I remove the trays and use the staging as support for tomatoes or whatever is growing underneath it. In winter, salad stuff will grow under the trays.
If the glass is right down to the floor, put a plank alongside the glass so that, as the soil level builds up, its not against the glass.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Proserpina

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Such potential in all areas, we're going to love seeing transformation. A load of hard work, but so rewarding.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Veggie

MartinH Online
It's going to be lovely. Plenty to keep you busy for years to come, so take it a piece at a time and enjoy the process.

If it were mine, I'd start by getting the greenhouse operational and slapping some felt on the shed roof in case I decide to keep it. All the while dreaming about where to put the stream and whether it should have a big waterfall or just a cascade... I guess I was inspired by Charlie Dimmock back in the day Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Proserpina, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You and P both Martin,thats why we have pond and waterfall, he's not quite so keen these days, he's definitely 'sizeist' Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, MartinH, Proserpina, Veggie