DIY Herb Teas
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-02-2023, 11:12 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: Here's a bit of history, along with an easy to make recipe, without having to fiddle with removing the seeds Smile
https://swedishspoon.com/rosehip-soup/
Remind me next autumn - I would love to give this a try
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Sarriss - very interesting.
My Mum told me that during WWII they would go out picking rosehips. These were turned into syrup that was given to children as it was high in VitC and was seen as a replacement for orange juice. before my time of course. Big Grin
Maybe we should start this again?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, SarrissUK

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today's odd Tea was Kulmetusetee and I haven't a clue what it is. https://www.benu.ee/tooted/tervisetooted...ee-eco-20g
If anyone can translate this, please let me know. For some reason I thought it was nettle tea but I'm not sure now I've looked it up!

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(13-02-2023, 12:00 AM)Veggie Wrote: Today's odd Tea was Kulmetusetee and I haven't a clue what it is. https://www.benu.ee/tooted/tervisetooted...ee-eco-20g
If anyone can translate this, please let me know. For some reason I thought it was nettle tea but I'm not sure now I've looked it up!

Google says it's a natural herbal treatment for colds. Blackcurrant, raspberry leaf, red pepper, and meadowsweet. And the language is Estonian Wink
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Moth. Big Grin
I'd got as far as it being Estonian but translation came up with "Eyebrow Tea" which was a bit concerning. Thought I might end up with high arched eyebrows if I drank too much of it. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Moth

Farendwoman Offline
(12-02-2023, 11:48 PM)Veggie Wrote: Thanks Sarriss - very interesting.
My Mum told me that during WWII they would go out picking rosehips. These were turned into syrup that was given to children as it was high in VitC and was seen as a replacement for orange juice. before my time of course. Big Grin
Whaddya mean “before my time”!!
when I was at primary school, we used to have the Delarosa syrup chap come on Mondays (in rose hip season of course). We used to get paid something like 1d for a pound. The pupil with the biggest amount used to get a certificate too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
(12-02-2023, 11:48 PM)Veggie Wrote: Thanks Sarriss - very interesting.

I made a rosehip syrup the year before last of a load of rosehips that I found near the allotment. I only made a syrup because I couldn't be bothered to deseed them - every recipe said to remove the fiddly, itchy seeds. A syrup doesn't need the seeds removed. It was honestly the most delicious Smile
Apparently, now... I've found recipes for the soup that doesn't need the seeds removed either, so I'll try that next year too!
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Veggie