Energy Saving
JJB Offline
Moonraker
My pressure cooker is a godsend, mine was bought when we set up home in 1975, a Prestige auto, and still going strong. It's had various new seals, weights and safety plugs but I fear that if it dies there are no more spares available so I'll have to modernise. Soups, beans, stews etc all save time and energy.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
No one's mentioned low energy light bulbs, perhaps so self evident. Smile I think the old sort are quite difficult to find.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Online
(23-11-2021, 10:45 AM)Bren Wrote:
(21-11-2021, 03:00 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Pressure cookers are very energy efficient. Cuts the cooking time by two thirds and apart from when you are bringing it to pressure, it only uses the minimum heat level. Most legumes cook in under 10 minutes and you can get perfect basmati rice in 3 minutes and a 10 minute rest.

I use my pressure cooker for soups, beans, and lots of other things,   even bought a small one to take camping.   

I don't use it for  green veg unless its for soups I find its its easy  end up with mushy veg.

The only disaster I've had was the safety valve blew firing peas all over the kitchen, luckily our kitchen celling is low enough for me to touch so it didn't take to long to scrap of the peas.   So now when i cook mushy peas  they go in slow cooker.

Yeah some things can be dangerous when pressure cooked. Here's a quote from the manual for our pressure cooker:

'This cooker is not suitable for the preparation of apple compote, cranberries, porridge (oat flakes), barley or other cereals (except those listed in section 16), peas, pasta, macaroni or rhubarb. These foods tend to foam and froth and could block the valve. These foods should not be cooked in a pressure cooker.'

You actually can pressure cook some of the above but it requires extra steps, for example oats have to be done in a bowl inside the pressure cooker and not directly in the pan.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Online
(23-11-2021, 12:38 PM)JJB Wrote: My pressure cooker is a godsend, mine was bought when we set up home in 1975, a Prestige auto, and still going strong. It's had various new seals, weights and safety plugs but I fear that if it dies there are no more spares available so I'll have to modernise. Soups, beans, stews etc all save time and energy.
If you do ever need to buy one I am very happy with our Kuhn Rikon. Pricier, but the build quality is excellent and spares are easily available. In 5 years we've had to replace the the gasket and one handle, both likely due to user error.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Broadway Offline
I love my slow cookerSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had a Prestige pressure cooker about 40 years ago. My Mum always used one so why shouldn't I?
My comeuppance came one Christmas Day steaming a Christmas pud for after dinner. There was a huge bang, the weights flew off and I didn't know what was happening. My fault - I hadn't put enough water in the pan and it had steamed itself dry. The bottom of the pan was as domed as the lid and that was the end of that.........and the pudding!
I've also had the frothing up through the valve experience when cooking split peas. A dash of oil or butter in the water helps to keep the froth down.
I have a Tower pressure cooker now but have been thinking about one of the automatic pressure release models.
I'll see what TMTT's unpronounceable one looks like!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB

Bren Offline
I don't think I've done to bad,  I've been cooking mushy peas since the early 1980's and that was my first disaster  Blush
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(23-11-2021, 03:04 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(23-11-2021, 12:38 PM)JJB Wrote: My pressure cooker is a godsend, mine was bought when we set up home in 1975, a Prestige auto, and still going strong. It's had various new seals, weights and safety plugs but I fear that if it dies there are no more spares available so I'll have to modernise. Soups, beans, stews etc all save time and energy.
If you do ever need to buy one I am very happy with our Kuhn Rikon. Pricier, but the build quality is excellent and spares are easily available. In 5 years we've had to replace the the gasket and one handle, both likely due to user error.

Thanks for the personal recommendation TMTT,  I'll bear it in mind although I'm hoping not to have to use it though
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes

SarrissUK Offline
I have a multi cooker that does slow and pressure cooking amongst many other things. I'm ashamed to say I have no idea about the energy use tho Sad
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I confess my pressure cooking is primarily to save time not energy. I saw one of those slow/pressure cooking thingys promoted in Tesco yesterday, I was sorely tempted but resisted, just another thing to sit on the counter or take up room in the cupboard. Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Broadway