Energy Saving
Spec Offline
Thanks Mark I will look into protection for over charging, I was also thinking of having an AC heating cable installation as backup for low power outage with the DC heating
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I can take no credit other than a little light nagging, but MrPP wired a socket in the kitchen that at a flick of a switch will pull only from the solar panels. We can boil a kettle in the daytime to fill a flask for the evening.
We just ran on the panels and batteries, with a genny for the big power tools, for the first 2 years, so became very energy aware!
The washing machine only goes on when we have peak power and always a full load.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
It looks like most of the energy saving tips have been covered.

Mine is to use a steamer when cooking on the hob instead of multiple pans.
[-] The following 6 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just loaded the washing machine -using the "quick wash" option. It cuts the wash time by about 20 minutes. To my embarrassment, it was years before I realised what this button did (cuts out a wash & rinse cycle) - so less energy and less water.
I only use the washing machine when the weather looks like it will stay sunny and breezy for the day so that it can line dry. Anything that hasn't dried completely before dusk is moved into the log store (an old car port) to finish off.
I used to have a tumble drier that stood idly in the kitchen for years. When the kitchen was remodelled, I threw it in the skip. The timer was dodgy and it needed repair so didn't want to gift it.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Opening the fridge/freezer lets the cold out, so I try and know exactly what I want for cooking and get everything out at once, and then stack stuff next to the fridge for putting away in one go. There is no standing gazing into the fridge whilst deciding what to cook, or leaving the door open while I put milk in my coffee!!
And I was appalled at how inefficient our old freezer was; I reckon we could have dined on fresh organic produce for the cost of running it. But it was old and poorly insulated, but also top of the range when we bought it last century. That's one reason why I only have a fridge-freezer now, the energy to run a freezer for me personally outways the benefits. But if I was still working full time, I'm sure I would want a big freezer. And it gets defrosted three-monthly, which only takes ten minutes, but helps it run better.

We replaced out vacuum cleaner last year to a cordless one which we charge only when the solar panels give enough juice, so free hoovering (it is a Hoover!!).

It's a dull grey day today, so the panels are only generating 100-120w, but with the house pulling just under 100w we are winning at the moment, just!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Pressure cookers are very energy efficient. Cuts the cooking time by two thirds and apart from when you are bringing it to pressure, it only uses the minimum heat level. Most legumes cook in under 10 minutes and you can get perfect basmati rice in 3 minutes and a 10 minute rest.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
A few things more DIY related are insulating hot water pipes (the main pipe coming from our hot water tank is in a loft and had no lagging, so we were losing tons of heat to a cold loft) and top up loft insulation if it's not at the recommended thickness (the first 10cm are the most important but another 20cm on top reduces heat loss again by two thirds and reduces thermal bridging by covering the joists).
[-] The following 6 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(21-11-2021, 03:00 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Pressure cookers are very energy efficient. Cuts the cooking time by two thirds and apart from when you are bringing it to pressure, it only uses the minimum heat level. Most legumes cook in under 10 minutes and you can get perfect basmati rice in 3 minutes and a 10 minute rest.

I've never thought of rice in a pressure cooker. I used to use the microwave but our big pyrex dish (probably was about 8 pints) got dropped and they don't seem to make such a large one any more. I'll try that tomorrow. I might look at the recipie book that came with it for more suggestions. I currently use it for potatoes, beetroots and dried beans. It saves getting the kitchen all steamed up as well.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(21-11-2021, 07:20 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(21-11-2021, 03:00 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Pressure cookers are very energy efficient. Cuts the cooking time by two thirds and apart from when you are bringing it to pressure, it only uses the minimum heat level. Most legumes cook in under 10 minutes and you can get perfect basmati rice in 3 minutes and a 10 minute rest.

I've never thought of rice in a pressure cooker. I used to use the microwave but our big pyrex dish (probably was about 8 pints) got dropped and they don't seem to make such a large one any more. I'll try that tomorrow. I might look at the recipie book that came with it for more suggestions. I currently use it for potatoes, beetroots and dried beans. It saves getting the kitchen all steamed up as well.
I use the quantities and timings from here - https://www.hippressurecooking.com/easy-...amed-rice/
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Bren Offline

I use my pressure cooker for soups, beans, and lots of other things,   even bought a small one to take camping.   

I don't use it for  green veg unless its for soups I find its its easy  end up with mushy veg.

The only disaster I've had was the safety valve blew firing peas all over the kitchen, luckily our kitchen celling is low enough for me to touch so it didn't take to long to scrap of the peas.   So now when i cook mushy peas  they go in slow cooker.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Proserpina, toomanytommytoes, Veggie