I can feel another experimiment coming on!
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
As an aside, I'm always puzzled by the term "Family Butcher". Do they slaughter a family to make their pies - like Sweeney Todd?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(19-11-2021, 04:40 PM)Veggie Wrote: As an aside, I'm always puzzled by the term "Family Butcher". Do they slaughter a family to make their pies - like Sweeney Todd?
Like Mr Kipling he made exceptionally good pies though! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
On the Free side, today I acquired 6 tubs of Twinings Cold Infuse tea with 10-12 tea bags in each tub https://twinings.co.uk/collections/cold-water-infusions
They're meant to go in your water bottle to flavour the water but I'm trying one (Raspberry and Hibiscus) with hot water - like herb tea - in a cafetiere.
Its nicer than I expected - and I've been topping up the same teabag all afternoon - its down for the 3rd time now!

I'd like to stop drinking coffee (black, no sugar if you're offering) and switch to homegrown herbal tea (free) but my repertoire is a bit limited. Hoping to get some ideas from these teas and wean myself off coffee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
If it's caffeine you're trying to avoid you could try decaf but I expect you've already considered that. P went over to both decaf coffee and tea when his heart started playing up. He still has choccy though.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
No its not caffeine and I only drink weak black instant coffee -which is why I never go out for coffee. Its far too strong and overpriced.
The coffee I buy would horrify some of you - its Morries Savers Instant Coffee, 70p 100g and it comes in a bag, not a jar. Once emptied into a container, who's to know what it is?Wink
The reason I'd like to stop drinking coffee is because its not grown in the UK and has to travel for miles before reaching my cup.
For the same reason, I'm trying to stop eating rice and trying alternative staples like Hodmedod's Quinoa (UK grown).
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I like steeped Hibiscus flowers as a cold drink. Cool Nice flowery tasting red drink but don't think its cultivated for the flowers  in the  UK? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I bought bags of Hibiscus flowers in Egypt one year - Karkade or summat. Very refreshing in summer.
Must look to see if you can grow it here.

EDIT Its Hibiscus sabdariffa/Roselle. https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_688...sabdariffa
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(19-11-2021, 07:51 PM)Veggie Wrote: No its not caffeine and I only drink weak black instant coffee -which is why I never go out for coffee. Its far too strong and overpriced.
The coffee I buy would horrify some of you - its Morries Savers Instant Coffee, 70p 100g and it comes in a bag, not a jar. Once emptied into a container, who's to know what it is?Wink
The reason I'd like to stop drinking coffee is because its not grown in the UK and has to travel for miles before reaching my cup.
For the same reason, I'm trying to stop eating rice and trying alternative staples like Hodmedod's Quinoa (UK grown).
We drink lidls decaf, so no caffitionados ? sp   here
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I've grown quinoa a couple of years now. It looks like large fat hen plants. It's a bit fiddly to harvest but Ok listening to the radio or music, don't know about watching TV as don't have one.
You could try mint teas, not quite the same as coffee. Some are a bit wishy washy but I got a good one off my son which is now growing in a bath so plenty of it. It is probably Morroccan. My daughter has started drinking nettle tea so I keep a patch short so she can have young shoots.
I don't think I want to give up coffee though. The quantities i buy don't weigh too much and being fair trade, it's supporting the farmers there. Machu Pichu and Kilimanjaro as places I would have liked to visit but don't think you should travel long distances.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I already drink mint, sage, rosemary, lemon balm and pine needle teas but want to mix them with other things like apple peel, elderflower & berries, raspberries, rose petals & hips to make them more exciting. I forget to gather them at the right time though!!
I've been to Machu Picchu, it was on my bucket list, amazing place. That trip to Peru was also the first time I'd tasted quinoa and drunk Chicha - the "beer" made from maize which is first chewed by the Chicha maker whose saliva starts the fermentation! One of the other travellers in the group wanted to experience the real Peru, so I buddied up with him and we took a day off to travel by local bus to a small village on the hunt for a Red Flag. Chicha is made by families and they hang a red flag outside their door when they have chicha that is fermented and ready to drink. We went into the house, not knowing what to expect. There were a couple of rough wooden tables and some chairs, no customers, so we sat down and waited. Out came a little lady wearing all the bright layered clothing that makes them look so cheerful, and we ordered Two chicha. She looked shocked, and went back into her kitchen. She emerged, carrying a tray and 2 pint glasses of a pink liquid with an enormous frothy head, and stood back and watched while we tentatively sipped. From the kitchen came more and more family members, small children, old grannies, all watching us drink as if we were expected to keel over. It was actually quite pleasant. We asked if there was any food available and out came omelettes and hunks of fresh bread. It was lovely. Whether the chicha was strong or it was the altitude, I don't know but I felt quite light headed afterwards, waving and saying Ola to everyone who came out of their house to see these foreigners who had strayed off the beaten track!
When we got back on the bus, local people were giving up their seats for us. Such friendly and helpful people - one of the best holidays I've ever had.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny