I can feel another experimiment coming on!
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-11-2021, 11:40 PM)Vinny Wrote: We have a family who grab all the reduced stuff, stick it in their trolley, move further down the isle and sort out what they want to keep then get the kids to return the rest. P**ses me off big style! Angry
We had a family like that in Morries - they've been banned from the store. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Ahhhh, how nice to know I'm not alone. My week's meals are planned round the yellow stickers. Although as our area is deemed affluent Mr. Tesco doesn't reduce thing to quite to the extent he used to. A few miles down the road to a military town, Mr. T is far more generous. Lidl's 20p offers are very satisfying, it's all a game really, the shopper trying to get one over on the supermarket. Unfortunately I can't rely on yellow stickers completely but give it a damned good try. I wish we had a Morries near here.

Oh by the way Vinny, during our recent power outage when looking for something to cook on the stove top , I found a tin of chilli dated 2009! Opened it up , smelled, tasted, gave a generous spoonful to P - he didn't keel over so we had it for tea. I'm still here (obviously) and no one was sick. It made me look through the store cupboard though. We have several tins that need eating up Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Even though we're on the very edge of the city, we're still only 10 minutes away from Morries, Sainburys, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Asda. Morries wins my vote every time - it feels comfortable there!
Sains, Asda & Tesco are too big and the Tesco is alongside the student campus. The students have bargain shopping down to a fine art - there must be Degrees they take and this is research. Aldi and Lidl are almost identical, sell the same stuff and are almost on opposite sides of the road to each other.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(18-11-2021, 04:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: Even though we're on the very edge of the city, we're still only 10 minutes away from Morries, Sainburys, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Asda. Morries wins my vote every time - it feels comfortable there!
Sains, Asda & Tesco are too big and the Tesco is alongside the student campus.  The students have bargain shopping down to a fine art - there must be Degrees they take and this is research. Aldi and Lidl are almost identical, sell the same stuff and are almost on opposite sides of the road to each other.
You've got it made Veggie! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
We have a Tesco but it's huge and you can't get around the isles are blocked with pickers, I lose the will to live. So between Aldi, Jack Fultons and the corn merchant I can buy everything within walking distance. I do miss our local butcher's and greengrocer but they closed in the last few years.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-11-2021, 07:42 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(18-11-2021, 04:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: Even though we're on the very edge of the city, we're still only 10 minutes away from Morries, Sainburys, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco and Asda. Morries wins my vote every time - it feels comfortable there!
Sains, Asda & Tesco are too big and the Tesco is alongside the student campus.  The students have bargain shopping down to a fine art - there must be Degrees they take and this is research. Aldi and Lidl are almost identical, sell the same stuff and are almost on opposite sides of the road to each other.
Better still, we have a weekly Farmer's Market, a great little corner shop that sells fresh veg, plants, flowers and compost and, 5 minutes in the other direction a butchers, Spar, Coop , Bakery, a Zero waste shop and a couple of charity shops. Its straight down the hill to the shops but its a heck of climb walking back uphill with shopping!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(18-11-2021, 11:45 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(18-11-2021, 07:42 PM)Vinny Wrote:
Better still, we have a weekly Farmer's Market, a great little corner shop that sells fresh veg, plants, flowers and compost and, 5 minutes in the other direction a butchers, Spar, Coop , Bakery, a Zero waste shop and a couple of charity shops. Its straight down the hill to the shops but its a heck of climb walking back uphill with shopping!!
As I say, you've got it made, you've even got an' in built' keep fit program walking up the hill toning your lrgs with the walk and your arms with carrying the shopping! Big Grin Who needs Rockfit and Box/core sessions! Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
..........and, if I cross the road from the house there's acres of woodland and fields to forage in. Now you know why I've lived here for 40 years. The hills have become steeper than they were when I first moved here though.Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
As previously mentioned reduced sections are few and far between here. We do tend to buy non perishable food in bulk. Not quite on the scale of preppers though,

If all the shops closed for six months we would survive quite happily. I refuse to buy meat in supermarkets and also buy meat in bulk from our local butchers.
Next order is due next week, a whole lamb, 1/4 pig, 8lb sausages, mixed offal and 10lb diced steak and 10lb mince. The butcher prepares all the cuts and portions it up for an additional £40. That will last at least 6 months as well.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Jay, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(19-11-2021, 12:07 PM)Admin Wrote: As previously mentioned reduced sections are few and far between here. We do tend to buy non perishable food in bulk. Not quite on the scale of preppers though,

If all the shops closed for six months we would survive quite happily. I refuse to buy meat in supermarkets and also buy meat in bulk from our local butchers.
Next order is due next week, a whole lamb, 1/4 pig, 8lb sausages, mixed offal and 10lb diced steak and 10lb mince. The butcher prepares all the cuts and portions it up for an additional £40. That will last at least 6 months as well.
I've only relatively recently cottoned on to using a favouured Butcher. Smile The reason is just the opposite to your reason Admin, I like to buy very small ammounts of what I like at reasonable prices. I get steak & Kidney which I love and if he preps it for me then weighs it he'll say "Is £4.20 too much, I can take some off if you like?" He must realise that people on ther own, or low budget, don't need massive ammounts or to have a fixed 'One size does all' packaging. Cool
It's maybe illusionary but I always think meat tastes better from the butchers! Rolleyes