I can feel another experimiment coming on!
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just Duckducked Jack Fultons and it led me to WasteNotWantNot for shortdated items https://www.starbargains.co.uk/store/wastenot
Not tempted by Frosties with a use by date of 5th November!! Don't even like them. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I think every area has a shop that sells mainly out of date stuff. Ours is Barry's Bargains which I raely visit because I finish up spending far too much on stuff I don't really need! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
haha I love this challenge, though I'm feeding three people now, I don't think I can buy only yellow stickered or reduced food.

Saying that though, Jay said to me the other day that I'm not interested in eating anything unless it's out of date haha

I love yellow stickers, especially in Morrisons - very good, and T3sco can be good on a Sunday afternoon before closing. Over the last year, my best bargains have been from the app Too Good to Go. It's shops nearby that will anticipate how many bags of stuff they will have left over towards the end of their trading day and sell them off with about 75% discount (£12's worth for £3 etc). If they don't sell all the bags, you end up with it all! The only negative thing is that you can sometimes not pick up until late at night, which suited me while Jay still lived in Hull - I'd drive home late at night and pick it up on the way. Have a go - download it to your phone and see what's near you! Here even restaurants do it - carveries etc!
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
How about taking your Experiment to another level?
Eat only reduced food or that which you grow or make for yourself.
What would be the hardest foods to give up?
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sarriss, I looked at TooGoodtoGo and another similar one but anything that involves Apps and Mobile phones is not for me. Can't be doing with anything that involves phones!
There have been people on my local freebie site offering the unwanted food they've just collected. One girl had a bag of meat sandwiches and fish sushi, none of which her family would eat as they're all vegetarian!
I know I like cheap but I also like to choose what I'm buying, otherwise its more food wasted.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
Very rarely do we buy anything from reduced sections....it might be the area we live but not much is on offer anyway. I made a killing on some whole salmon a few years back but that's about all.

I often chuckle when I watch people gather close to where the items are normally put, knowing the pushing and shoving will soon start.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Aaahhhhhh - the whole salmon incident!
In Morries a couple of years ago and they had a heap of whole salmon, in bags that had been marked down. It was nearly closing time and I knew they'd be marked down further, so I loitered nearby.
Out came the fishmonger and so did a lady who didn't speak much English - just shouted "I want, I want". She pushed the fishmonger aside and grabbed all the fish he'd just reduced. There was a tug-of-war with a salmon as the fishman wanted to give it to me (patiently standing by, waiting) and she didn't want to part with it.
Suddenly, the fish bag split and the salmon leapt out of the bag and slithered across the floor.
I'm trying not to laugh!
Angry Fishman scoops it up off the floor and asks her if she still wants the fish. To my amazement, she did!!
Fishman passes me all the remaining salmon (4 or 5) that he hadn't yet marked down and takes the unbagged salmon behind the counter, where he washed it and rebagged it! He thrust it at the woman and told her that was all she could have. Then he took the ones I was minding and marked them right down to about £1. Then he filleted them and portioned them up for me.
I honestly thought the woman was going to mug me in the carpark!
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, Jay, JJB, Roitelet, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(17-11-2021, 07:21 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: haha I love this challenge, though I'm feeding three people now, I don't think I can buy only yellow stickered or reduced food.

Saying that though, Jay said to me the other day that I'm not interested in eating anything unless it's out of date haha

I love yellow stickers, especially in Morrisons - very good, and T3sco can be good on a Sunday afternoon before closing. Over the last year, my best bargains have been from the app Too Good to Go. It's shops nearby that will anticipate how many bags of stuff they will have left over towards the end of their trading day and sell them off with about 75% discount (£12's worth for £3 etc). If they don't sell all the bags, you end up with it all! The only negative thing is that you can sometimes not pick up until late at night, which suited me while Jay still lived in Hull - I'd drive home late at night and pick it up on the way. Have a go - download it to your phone and see what's near you! Here even restaurants do it - carveries etc!
Just downloadsed the App Sarris, I'll give it a go! Thanks! Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
We have a family who grab all the reduced stuff, stick it in their trolley, move further down the isle and sort out what they want to keep then get the kids to return the rest. P**ses me off big style! Angry
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
There's another App too - OLIO. A friend collects a lot of Sourdough bread from a local bakery and offers it on the freebie site and OLIO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB