Green johanna
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm researching compost bins. 

The Green Johanna is classed as a hot bin, which the Council is offering at £50, a very good price,  but having bored myself silly listening to a video about assembly and what can go in it, I can see its quite sturdy but why is it called a hot composter? I can see no extra insulation and it seems just a plastic shell with a base and lid. How does the GJ get to a higher temp than any others? I can purchase a winter jacket (currently out of stock), which makes sense but without that it seems to me that it is just a normal plastic compost bin.

Anybody able to educate me? At the moment I think I'm sticking to what I've got, which is a square plastic black one with an improvised lid - the lid blew off in the recent  gales which prompted this whole process Smile

Another thing, how robust is the winter jacket, I figure if rats can chew through the plastic on my black one, they'll  dine out on the insulating jacket thinking they can smell food inside.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
When I looked into hot composters, I also wondered why the green johanna was classed as one. Never did work it out. All I can think is it’s winter jacket, but I’m only guessing. It might be worth a go if you’re council are offering them for £50. Like you say that’s a very good price.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB