Rant Alert !
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(29-10-2021, 08:32 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: This seems appropriate with the climate conference kicking off. 
As well as gardening, we look after 2 gîtes - clean, change and do the laundry between guests - and the owners of one have told us not only to leave both the empty fridge freezers running, but to leave the heating set to 20 degrees,  day and night. They have nobody booked before summer next year. 
Although we need the income,  I personally would rather not work for them. Am I being too sensitive?!

We got a rather panicked message today to turn the heating down  - guessing they've had a rather enormous gas bill!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Scarlet, Spec, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-01-2022, 05:16 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(29-10-2021, 08:32 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: This seems appropriate with the climate conference kicking off. 
As well as gardening, we look after 2 gîtes - clean, change and do the laundry between guests - and the owners of one have told us not only to leave both the empty fridge freezers running, but to leave the heating set to 20 degrees,  day and night. They have nobody booked before summer next year. 
Although we need the income,  I personally would rather not work for them. Am I being too sensitive?!

We got a rather panicked message today to turn the heating down  - guessing they've had a rather enormous gas bill!
Smile They may be a little more considerate in future? Shame that it's the £ signs that make them aware of wastage though isn't it Sad?
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
Well that's moving in scupperedRolleyes but to show the difference from one area to another and can understand what Jay has said, I have had heating on down stairs since October but have had to put an electric heater on in the room upstairs, if I don't it would get too cold and damp
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(30-10-2021, 02:57 PM)Jay Wrote: We have a little countryside cottage and in the good old Scottish winters if heating is not left on (frost setting on electric radiators) it’s amazing how quickly the damp takes over. It’s an old stone building. As I said I understand leaving a bit of heating on but 20 degrees is a bit much.
I think it's the 20 degrees more than having the heating. My neighbour used to turn theirs off completely when going on hols over the winter - it cause quite some damage - twice - through frozen burst pipes!

I live in an old stone house and not up North Big Grin if we don't have the heating we would get damp issues - no footings here, straight onto the ground, when it rains we have to have the fires going to dry out the stone or the water will come through Sad but 20?! That's a just too high for an empty house.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(13-01-2022, 03:55 PM)Spec Wrote: Well that's moving in scupperedRolleyes but to show the difference from one area to another and can understand what Jay has said, I have had heating on down stairs since October but have had to put an electric heater on in the room upstairs, if I don't it would get too cold and damp

That's one of the main reasons for building from scratch despite all the gorgeous old stone buildings around - minus five overnight last night, a max of 8 today and yet the house was at 21 when we came home this evening. We used the 7kw log burner last night and had nothing other than solar gain today. We have a lot of insulation!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Scarlet, Spec

Spec Offline
(13-01-2022, 10:35 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(13-01-2022, 03:55 PM)Spec Wrote: Well that's moving in scupperedRolleyes but to show the difference from one area to another and can understand what Jay has said, I have had heating on down stairs since October but have had to put an electric heater on in the room upstairs, if I don't it would get too cold and damp

That's one of the main reasons for building from scratch despite all the gorgeous old stone buildings around - minus five overnight last night, a max of 8 today and yet the house was at 21 when we came home this evening. We used the 7kw log burner last night and had nothing other than solar gain today. We have a lot of insulation!!

Yes PP insulation makes a big difference, my son and daughter stay in the same housing estate, with a difference of 4 years in building and a noticeable difference from one house to the other, with so much more insulation in the newer build, as for our own, I am hoping for help for external cladding being offered soonRolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot