Carlin peas
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Curious to know whether any of our G&G family, from oop North have eaten Carlin peas/Parched peas on Bonfire Night or any other night! 
From what I've read they were sold by street vendors in paper pokes https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/pa...arlin-peas
I have some Carlin peas from my Hodmedod box in to soak overnight. Any inspiring ideas for what happens to them after cooking?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
They are well named as they look like sheeps carlins. Cry My gran used to boil them up around about this time of year.We used to have them hot with loads of malt vinegar on them.They stink a bit from what I remember but didn't taste too bad. Smile

Since then, whenever I have any type of peas with my dinner, especially mushy peas, i drown them in vinegar! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Vinny, Smile
I don't know what sheep's carlins are - sorry. Are they droppings? (I'm very innocent.Wink)
Have you tried growing carlin peas? A friend from ?Bolton grew them last year in his garden. Reckoned he had loads of peas off them.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Yep, sheeps doo dah's, you got it in one. (Smell a bit like them as well) Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
(28-10-2021, 05:51 PM)Veggie Wrote: Curious to know whether any of our G&G family, from oop North have eaten Carlin peas/Parched peas on Bonfire Night or any other night! 
From what I've read they were sold by street vendors in paper pokes https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/pa...arlin-peas
I have some Carlin peas from my Hodmedod box in to soak overnight. Any inspiring ideas for what happens to them after cooking?

I haven't grown them, but I did make that Hodmedod's recipe last year and it was very tasty.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Proserpina's post:
  • Veggie