Has the World gone mad?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58879461

I just wonder what the World is coming to. This is the latest in a long line of ridiculous changes being forced on society. Makes you wonder how we have managed without for thousands of years? Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Spec, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
And we're all told to celebrate difference, except in that very fundamental one. I agree with gender neutrality when it comes to jobs, I was very much pushed into the 'jobs suitable for girls' as a youngster, but remember my mother being castigated for letting me have a toy gun in my pram which I 'shot' everyone with. Do you think girls and boys are programmed by society/media towards certain colours/toys/hobbies.
How do the team with youngsters or grandchildren cope with gender stereotyping?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
You are right Vinny, so many changes but not always for the better, it is fine passing laws to stop certain things and behaviours, but the law makers do not provide help or guidance in how replace some things which are banned
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I missed this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58879161

Nuff said! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Spec Offline
Possibly would have been better if you had missed itRolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
So from article one as far as I can work out large shops are being made by law to have a section of toys not labelled as "girls toys" or "boys toys" and if they don't they will face a fine.
I'm not sure this will be a problem for shops of this size (over 500 employees in 1 state is a fairly big company I guess). I may be being thick but if they took down their "girls toys" and "boys toys" signs, and made a sign reading "toys" this would fit the law? They could also stop using banners in the pink/purple and blue of 20th century traditional "gender" colours if they wanted.
Packaging of the toys is the largest issue when it comes to "gendering" toys and this legislation won't change that.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Vinny

Spec Offline
Yes Jimny simply removing the gender will conform to the law, but why does it need a law for that, what's wrong with simply asking companies to do this, I think we are being led by the nose by a minority, and what happens in America follows here shortly after, I had better stop as I don't want to get too political, but I have a son and daughter, both older than you, and they were never forced into any gender defined choices, also as a scout leader, I accepted both boys and girls in the troop and all were expected to do the same tasks etc. again gender did not come in to it, though with a mixed troop came different concerns and no gender neutral laws can change that
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline
I feel I am less concerned re this news article than yourself Spec. My feeling on the article and legislation is that there seems to have been some pressure within the calafornia state legislation offices or from very near by from likely someone rathr influential in local politics who feels this is very important. I surmise that the regulations put in place being quite easy to comply with and the fines being quite low for a company with significant numbers of employees that it has been easier to enact this law than deal with it any other way round.
As to your point about asking companies to change things. Companies (especially large ones) tend to only change things when there is a cost to the company regardless of what is necessarily "better".
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Vinny