Garlic 2021-22
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just wondering whether its autumn planting garlic or Spring? Maybe the autumn would be more developed than the spring ones?
Broadway. can you tell us the variety please?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
This morning I planted 12 each of Caulk Wight, Extra Early Wight, and Rhapsody Wight plus 3 Elephant cloves. There are a few odds and sods left that I may put in a pot.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 6 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, toomanytommytoes, Veggie, Vinny

Jimny14 Offline

Garlic poking its head up, the critters don't seem to have found it and dug em up.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Comparison of garlic planted on 26th October 2021 and today the greenery is roughly 2” tall.

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
last post was November 2021 and the leaves were about 2” tall now in January 2022 the greenery is about 6-8” tall.

Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I took leaf out of Vinny's book and planted some leftover shop bought garlic about a week ago. It may have been treated with some sort of sprouting inhibitor but it has two chances, grow or not. Its not my main crop so worth a shot. The saved cloves I planted are now 8" tall, so I won't be without. I contemplating elephant garlic, is it worth it?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm not a fan of normal garlic - its too strong and fiddly to prepare. Elephant garlic is milder, the cloves are huge, its easy to grow and the flowers are attractive. I leave mine in the ground all year round. Dig up some cloves at the end of the season and leave the tiny cloves around the sides in situ for another year.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(30-01-2022, 10:48 AM)JJB Wrote: I took leaf out of Vinny's book and planted some leftover shop bought garlic about a week ago. It may have been treated with some sort of sprouting inhibitor but it has two chances, grow or not.  Its not my main crop so worth a shot. The saved cloves I planted are now 8" tall, so I won't be without. I contemplating elephant garlic, is it worth it?
Elephant garlic is epensive to start with but after a couple of seasons of keeping and re-planting your own cloves it becomes less so. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(30-01-2022, 01:13 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm not a fan of normal garlic - its too strong and fiddly to prepare. Elephant garlic is milder, the cloves are huge, its easy to grow and the flowers are attractive. I leave mine in the ground all year round. Dig up some cloves at the end of the season and leave the tiny cloves around the sides in situ for another year.
I harvested the tiny clove-lets and am trying to grow them on but they just don't seem to want to grow? Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Elephant garlic seems a bit of a faff and as I like normal garlic I don't think I'm going to bother.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man