Garlic 2021-22
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(28-10-2021, 11:25 AM)Broadway Wrote: I wondered if people had seen this before, layers of cloves in a bulb??
Not me, but then I've not grown much garlic.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(28-10-2021, 11:25 AM)Broadway Wrote: I wondered if people had seen this before, layers of cloves in a bulb??
I haven't seen that before but wonder whether some sort of viral problem caused it? I would eat them but have worries about propagating from them? I know virus can distort leaves so maybe it can distort plant below ground?

I could be many a mile away though with my thinking! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

SarrissUK Offline
How funky looking is that! But yeah, I agree with Vinny, I wouldn't grow on any of those bulbs. They don't look like they'd store very well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
That looks to me like the bulb was harvested late after it had already started splitting into individual cloves. Should be fine to plant.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
It was purchased from a main supplier!
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
Which supplier was it? Complain and they'll probably send you a replacement, they never should have sent a bulb out looking like that. Perhaps there are some quality issues this year, one bulb of my Solent Wight was pretty rotted. If the variety has Wight in the name it all comes from that one farm on the Isle of Wight. I'd plant the cloves from that one anyway if they're still firm to the touch, they look nice and fat and could give you some big bulbs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
When I dug up my Elephant garlic about a month ago there was some small offshoots connected to the main corm. I planted these up in a pot and after a furtle today found there esd no growth from them, in fact a couple had rotted. I took them all back out of the compost and was concerned they had formed a hard 'shell' around them. No shoots or roots would be able to penetrate this shell so I carefully broke the shell off the remaining ones and re-planted them on the surface so I could keep an eye on them. The compost was kept moist and I can only liken the shell to that of a nut?
I tried to propagate from these growths last year without success Sick so hopefully I will get something this year. Smile

I re-planted some of the split up Elephant Garlic cloves soon after lifting and these are now showing above soil level which is good. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I haven't dug mine up yet! However, I have 3 large Elephant garlic cloves and a "round" that's about 2" diameter, that have been sitting in the kitchen since last winter when they were dug up. They're still fresh and usable - or plantable. The cloves have a hard brown skin, like an onion, the round is green.
They're tough old things!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(28-10-2021, 08:54 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Which supplier was it? Complain and they'll probably send you a replacement, they never should have sent a bulb out looking like that. Perhaps there are some quality issues this year, one bulb of my Solent Wight was pretty rotted. If the variety has Wight in the name it all comes from that one farm on the Isle of Wight. I'd plant the cloves from that one anyway if they're still firm to the touch, they look nice and fat and could give you some big bulbs.
Morning TMTT

For clarity I wasn't really concerned just curious as I'd never seen them look like that before, the individual cloves are fineSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
(29-10-2021, 07:24 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(28-10-2021, 08:54 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Which supplier was it? Complain and they'll probably send you a replacement, they never should have sent a bulb out looking like that. Perhaps there are some quality issues this year, one bulb of my Solent Wight was pretty rotted. If the variety has Wight in the name it all comes from that one farm on the Isle of Wight. I'd plant the cloves from that one anyway if they're still firm to the touch, they look nice and fat and could give you some big bulbs.
Morning TMTT

For clarity I wasn't really concerned just curious as I'd never seen them look like that before, the individual cloves are fineSmile
I'm surprised it stored well enough to be sold, it was on its way to doing this:

[Image: 20120604sproutedgarlichead.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Alisina, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny