Garlic 2021-22
Broadway Offline
(27-06-2022, 05:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: What a lot of faff!! I'd probably cut my finger trying to do it too.!
SmileSmileSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(27-06-2022, 05:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: What a lot of faff!! I'd probably cut my finger trying to do it too.!
Works for him but didn't work for me! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
I dug up some garlic today. The leaves had flopped over and dried out, they're a little rusty. The clumps of cloves were a good size, the biggest I've ever grown, bearing in mind they're just bunged in some poor soil. The outer skins were all black so I fear they've been left in the ground too long. It doesn't look like black mould but just the outers going rotten. Peeling one showed all was well underneath. Anyway I used it for dinner and I'm still here Smile
I will dig up the rest and dry them out and see what happens.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I pulled all my garlic today too. They were more than ready to be pulled, but I've been on holiday so they're a bit rusty and floppy.

The smell is amazing Smile

I don't trust them to dry out and cure for storing, so I will make garlic ice cubes Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(03-07-2022, 09:27 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: I pulled all my garlic today too. They were more than ready to be pulled, but I've been on holiday so they're a bit rusty and floppy.

The smell is amazing Smile

I don't trust them to dry out and cure for storing, so I will make garlic ice cubes Smile
Hi Sarriss

What method do you use for the cubes please?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

SarrissUK Offline
I'm going to blend them in the food processor with some water, that's all Danny. Then freeze in ice cube trays, then bung them in a bag to keep them sealed. I've not done it before, but there's so many bulbs with no outter layer to protect the cloves that I daren't store them. What do you think? Will it work?
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
(04-07-2022, 09:27 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: I'm going to blend them in the food processor with some water, that's all Danny. Then freeze in ice cube trays, then bung them in a bag to keep them sealed. I've not done it before, but there's so many bulbs with no outter layer to protect the cloves that I daren't store them. What do you think? Will it work?
No idea but I'm sure someone willSmile

Broadway Offline
(04-07-2022, 09:27 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: I'm going to blend them in the food processor with some water, that's all Danny. Then freeze in ice cube trays, then bung them in a bag to keep them sealed. I've not done it before, but there's so many bulbs with no outter layer to protect the cloves that I daren't store them. What do you think? Will it work?
Hiya Sarriss

With your job exploits did you get a chance to freeze your garlic?

SarrissUK Offline
I haven't yet Danny - they're still drying outside! I've purposely waited, since I knew it was going to get hotter than hell on Monday and Tuesday, so I will be cutting them all down and peel the worst of it off outside tomorrow, and do the mashing/blending when it's too hot to be outside Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man