How to divide a bed 13' x 10'?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
V, you're wasting your time doing 'straight' you know it won't last. Smile I did think that as a simple compromise you could divide your rectangular bed into 4 or 6 with wavy lines. But I think after planting, especially with veg, the edges would get obscured an it would lose its design (that might be so for any arty design).
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I know you'll have had sleepless nights wondering which plan I'm going to follow. Are you ready?

Its a mongrel between wide rows, running north - South, No paths, Gertrud Frank's spinach "paths" with rather a lot of random thrown in - literally. There are 7 Strips, each about 2' wide.
I had 3 bin bags full of saved seed heads - Red Russian kale, lettuce and a chard/beetroot/spinach mix. Instead of faffing about removing the seeds from the stalks, I chopped them up with secateurs. Each bag became a Strip.
The 4th strip was a jar of old ?beetroot/chard seeds
No 5 - a jar of ?mustard and cress seeds
Nos 6 & 7 came from a tub of really random seeds - maybe brassicas, alliums, salad leaves, calendula, carrots, anything edible.

I didn't sow them in that order - from memory - from the east, the rows are, kale stalks, beetroot/chard jar, lettuce stalks, random tub, beetroot/chard/spinach stalks, ?mustard & cress, random tub.

IF, big IF, these seeds grow, I can cull them for Gertrud paths, eat some and let the chooks forage when I've had enough.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I hardly believe this but that ^^^ plot is turning green with seedlings. Must check tomorrow whether every row has germinated. With my luck they're all weeds. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

Here's a sample of seedlings - these will be kale of some sort. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

Thought you might like to see some of the random results. Plenty of Russian kale, radish, mustards and oriental leaves identifiable so far!! Lots of grass too. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet

SarrissUK Offline
I love the idea of this! But it would not work out well for me - I'd only dare eat the leaves that I know for absolutely sure are not poisonous lol
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
This random bed is making me very happy. Big Grin
There are surprising items popping up everywhere (and weeds but they're easy to spot). I'm amazed how many radish are there as I struggle to grow them when I try to do it properly. I like the challenge of identifying the seedlings as they appear - its one of my little garden games.
Time to clear another little patch somewhere, mix up a jar of old seeds and go forth and scatter. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
How different we all are, and quite rightly too. I get pleasure from a very regimented row of seedlings popping up, completely straight and identifiable - as long as I've remembered to label them Smile. Couldn't cope with your surprise bed V.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
............and I'd have difficulty looking at a regimented row. That would need labels and weeding and feeling upset when a seedling didn't grow or when a plant is removed, leaving a gap that upsets the symmetry. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I love a random flower bed....but it's a pain when it's veg.... traipsing everywhere looking for what you need Big Grin

I love all my seedlings potted on in the same size pots... love the line up.Though this is getting increasing difficult with my reducing pot stash Sad
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie