How to divide a bed 13' x 10'?
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
But how do I reach the middle? I have to have a route. Shortarses have shortarms too - don't we? Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Another vague plan that I dreamt up whilst nodding off last night!
A Clock face with 12 segments radiating out from a central point.....................but not just any old clock face because each "hour/5 minutes" would be a calendar month.
For example, Midnight to 5 past is January, 5-10 past is February.
Midnight is at North, 6 o'clock is South so the sunniest summer months would be at the lower side of the big bed.
Plant a month, every month and move the Hands (plank) forward an hour. keep the unplanted area covered until the time is right!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again; madness, sheer madness. Big Grin
I still maintain the KISS theory works best. You were saying you were looking to reduce the work needed in the garden, is this still an underlying requirement? Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Didn't know you cared, Jen xx to you too. Big Grin
I'm getting rid of grass paths that are a pain to mow and the grass/weeds that encroach on the beds and using cardboard to cover unused areas. I won't be covering the cardboard with compost as I don't have enough and I'm not buying compost just to throw on the ground.
Gardening has to be fun or I don't want to do it. I don't want my garden to look like a graveyard with lots of equal sized beds - I need to be different. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Now that I can understand, you carry on as you are V, we get hours of entertainment, and love it! I'm sure I couldn't cope mentally with the clock though Smile
PS of course I care Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Could you cope with a Keyhole bed, in the centre on a stick, like a pollilopWink I just mistyped that but I like it so its staying. Smile
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Perhaps I could cope with a pollilop, but probably wouldn't. You know I've not got 'flair'. I like pollilop though, I'd name a pet that.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(12-09-2021, 12:20 AM)Veggie Wrote: Don't you start, Vinny Tongue
You have given me another idea though but I'm having difficulty sketching it on my envelope! If I can't draw it, I have little hope of planting it!!
I'll let you think about it instead.............its a rising sun with sun ray paths shining across the bed. The sun would rise as a semi-circle across one corner, probably the south west, as that is the first corner I'd come to from the house. The beds between the rays/paths would get wider as they reach the far sides, so they'd be like elongated triangles. the widest part of the bed at the edges could be tended from outside the bed.
I can see it in my mind with each "triangle" planted with a contrasting coloured leaf - like beetroot, planted next to carrots, next to yellow chard, next to red lettuce etc.

Of course, it would never work unless I could keep the chooks and dogs off it as they just trash everything!! No wonder I do a lot of random planting. Smile
With a largish area like that it wouldn't require a massive effort to put a chicken mesh fence around it to keep dogs off. Doesn't need to be anything elaborate just a few canes threaded through the mesh and bunged into the soil.

Watch what you are doing with cardboard paths though as they can get quite slippy. Cry Tread lightly and you should be OK though. I was going to mention a keyhole garden but think they are quite a bit of work to set up. A raised one would keep the mutts off! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Do you have any Welsh Druids local to you? They would be able to help with a rising sun bed and tell you the best angles to capture the winter/summer salstice rays.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What about the Spring and Autumn Solstices, Mark Big Grin
Perhaps I need a monolith/sundial in the centre?
  • JJB, Mark_Riga