What fruit has done well this year so far?
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I've grown quite a lot of fruit this year but not eaten so much.

In order of harvesting.

Strawberries: very few mainly eaten by squirrels
Raspberries: again very few:  squirrels, autumn ones look like I could get a crop as they are too busy with their nuts at the moment.
cherries: again the odd one:   squirrels.
Plums: none :   wood pigeons
red/black currants and gooseberries quite good crops
nectarines in poly tunnel: good crop quite a bit of insect damage but at least 50% was good. I do like a cake baked with nectarine in it. will hopefully be having a lot this winter.
apples all looking good. Picking katy last 2 weeks and excellent quality. still 50+ on the tree.
pears: one tree the wood pigeons missed has a dozen or so on, 4 other trees with none.
greengage (wild green plums, bit bigger than damsons and don't have so many grubs in) big crop this year to make up for the missing plums - good to eat fresh/jam/pies/puddings. I think they are tastier than plums.
[-] The following 6 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Bren Offline
Here's mine the only let down was the Strawberries.

Rhubarb: did really well this year. Made jams and froze some.
Strawberries: well netted but only a few every other day, just enough to have with ice cream
Raspberries: mines autumn ones I got a few earlier by only half cutting down some of the canes, Starting to freeze some.
Blackberries: have been fruiting for the past week. Already have a bag full in freezer.
Apples: Worcester pearmain lost a lot of blossom with a late frost so there won't be a huge harvest in late September.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Despite a promising start with plenty of blossom on the fruit bushes & trees, they haven't delivered, apart from the apples.
Had enough strawberries for breakfast but not for jam.
Blackbirds robbed most of the raspberries in the cage having found a sneaky hole in the back wall.
Jostaberies and currants also disappeared in a flurry of feathers.
Cherries............can't remember when I last saw a ripe one.
Plums are rotting before they ripen.
Pears - maybe some soon but they're still tiny.
Apples - already too many to cope with.
Grapes are ripening but the birds will find them before I do.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, toomanytommytoes

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Apples 6 but were attacked by wasps so Zero, the other apple tree produced 2 small apples that got blown off in the wind before they were ripe.
Raspberries very few as the blackbirds got there ahead of us everyday
Strawberries like Veggie enough to nibble on but not enough for jam
Blueberries- SUCCESS about 1kg from just one plant, 2nd plant gave a few, 1 of the remaining 3 plants died, 1 plant never fruits, infact it flowers at the wrong time and never produces anything I think it’s a male plant, and 1 plant which is only a year old so didn’t expect anything this year.
Cherries- DISASTER after a great flourish of blossoms, great little cherry buds then FUNGUS and everything on the tree died.
Hazelnuts bushes zero, except for my decorative curly hazel which produced 1 nut.
Passion fruit, as it’s only a new vine - Zero and it hasn’t grown very much despite regular feeding and watering. Not even a flower.
Rhubarb- a good crop for transplanted stools.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 5 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mark_Riga, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Strawberries were great
Raspberries good notwithstanding a possible virus
Apples, pears, cherries diabolical. No fruit on any of them. They've never been brilliant but this year the blossom got caught by frost.
Blackcurrants poor, Redcurrants good, gooseberries medium but the bushes are still small.
Blackberries have only just started to show but look to be a good crop if botrytis doesn't set in.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mark_Riga, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Strawberries started really well then got a lot of botrytis then started tasting awful. New plants and new bed next year.

Raspberries seem later than usual, crop looks OK but not quite as prolific, birds don't seem to eat them because the canes are not supported and flop over a bit.

Apples doing well. Red Falstaff absolutely loaded with fruit even after heavy thinning, having to prop up several of the branches due to the weight. Scrumptious is only in its second year so not much fruit at all. Both have scab, which seems to happen every year now.

Blackcurrant very good yield for its first year of cropping.

Gooseberries are still small but had a good amount of fruit, though the plants have now been swapped by some neighbouring flowers and the sawfly has damaged a lot of the leaves.

Blueberries pretty good, only in their second year, probably over a kilogram of fruit from two plants in the ground. The Bluecrop plant I got from Aldi a few years ago was on its last legs, pretty much just a twig, but is now flourishing in an experimental potting mix of composted bark and sulphur chips.

Rhubarb has done well after being divided over a year ago.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Pears are extremely productive this year....four small trees absolutely loaded.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Washout for me - if I had fruit it got hammered by pigeons or squirrels.
I managed to at least taste a few tayberries which were delicious but the blackcurrants, gooseberry, plums were all taken. My young apple trees, a few branches were snapped by birds Sad so annoying. I'm having huge numbers of pigeons just sitting on them. I've never seen so many.

I usually have a great crop of rasps but I got rid of the summer one s and only had a few by pickings of the autumn, lots still to ripen but whether they will have time to ripen I'm not sure - pretty cold already Sad

Rhubarb, I did have lots but I've had no kitchen so not much got used. Every the elderberries look scarce on the trees.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie