Sweet potato sprout
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Before consigning it to the compost heap, I thought I would consult people here.

Chopping up sweet potatoes for tea tonight, one has a 1" sprout at one end. I've chopped it off with a chunk of flesh but doubtful it will survive for the next 7 months before it coud be potted up.

I could put it in a bag with compost, put in fridge and hope for best.
or I could pot up and see if it roots then keep on windowsill if it does. or?
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've no helpful advice - sorry - rarely managed to get one to sprout, so I'm quite envious!
Whatever you do, you have to give it a chance. Maybe pot this one and, when the slip grows, take it off as a cutting?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I will try potting it up but it isn't really the right time of year. I've had mixed results with sweet potatoes sprouting in spring. One year, a tuber sent up lots of sprout such that I took all I wanted and gave it away to someone else to take some cuttings off. I had a bumper crop that year. The next year, I did exactly the same and the tubers all rotted so ended up with none.
I've not been successful with cuttings from shrubs either lately. I took one in spring from a park and it has sat in a plastic bag covered pot ever since neither dying or sprouting. I suspect the leaves will start to fall off one by one soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've found three sweet potatoes in my veg basket. They've been there for months, forgotten and unloved. Despite this, two of them are sprouting!
If you can remember this time last year, Mark, what happened to your sprouts? I'm wondering what to do with these for the best.

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
They grew to be a few feet long over Autumn and early Winter then died back and were never seen again. I watered occasionally to keep moist but spring came and went with nothing. I should have had a look when they died back to see if there was anything there then.
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks, I think!
Do you think I could plant them in a big pot, in the GH and leave them overwinter? I've never grown S.Pots so haven't a clue how they behave. The only ones I've seen growing were in a polytunnel where they covered the ground like a carpet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
You have 2 options. Keep them somewhere cool so they hopefully stay roughly as they are till early spring and the days are lengthening, then get the sprouts to grow. Each sprout would form a new plant. Or try planting now as you say and hope it either keeps growing through the winter or, if it dies back, has formed new roots to start off with next year. If you have a few, you could do both.
I've had mixed results with sweet potatoes. Outside one year they did nothing much. I think I got enough roots to taste what they were. Another year I grew them in the polytunnel. They grew well like melons or squash but I didn't get many as some rats took a fancy to them. The following year, one of the few I harvested started sprouting in the spring and I got several cuttings of it before giving it away for someone else to get some plants. That year I got a god crop. The year after that I tried to get 2 of my roots to sprout but they rotted instead. I haven't tried them since.
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-08-2022, 09:00 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've found three sweet potatoes in my veg basket. They've been there for months, forgotten and unloved. Despite this, two of them are sprouting!
If you can remember this time last year, Mark, what happened to your sprouts? I'm wondering what to do with these for the best.
Today, I pulled 5 rooted slips from two very old sweet potatoes - at least 15 months old. They've been potted up while I think about what I do with them next!. There are more slips on their way too.
I've tried to grow these many times and failed. This is the best I've ever done and I haven't been trying. There must be a motto here  Confused
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've never found a sprout on my sweet pots, they usually go rotten and mushy in the bottom of the veg basket.i hope yours succeed.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie