"No dig" in Pots
Spec Offline
(08-08-2021, 07:18 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Compost just isn't a very good growing medium for the longer term. In containers it seems to gradually lose its structure whatever you do. Perlite, bark, grit etc. all help aeration but eventually the organic matter in the rest of the mixture decomposes into dust. This leads to compaction and lower ability to hold water and air, which is bad news for roots. As has been said, in a container you don't have the insects or microbiome as you would in soil. Compost applied to the top of the container is just going to sit there and gradually break down with no structural effect on what's underneath.

Your post above ttt makes me wonder at what size of container does compost turn to soil, I have made my own soil by mixing vegative waste and course sand, made up in builders bag so about a meter cube I have had good crops from this for four years and it still looks very good, there have been other more prominent examples such as Inverewe Gardens and The Eden Project where soil was artificially made with outstanding results, but as you say, with smaller containers the contents deteriates
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, toomanytommytoes

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(08-08-2021, 12:49 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 11:05 AM)Vinny Wrote: I've often wondered about Charles Dowding methods ongoing? If I cover with cardboard and then compost and plant through it what am I supposed to do when the crop is harvested and I am redy to plant the next crop in the same area? Do I cover with cardboard again and add compost or do I just add compost? Because I have a never ending supply of cardboard and to save on the cost of compost, is it not feasible to strip off a couple of inches of soil and add to wheelbarrow, after which it will be returned on top of the cardboard?

To hypothesise on your query Veggie I would say that in open soil worms would be an integral part of combining the layers of soil and stopping compaction. In a pot, you probably wouldn't have the worm population or any invertebrates to break down and mix the layers?
Would stripping off the top bit of soil count as "digging" because you're disturbing the soil?
Probably, but I aint no purist! Rolleyes I like to experiment and adapt processes. I have a shed load of cardboard and won't buy more compost so just figuring out the best way to use it?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm no purist either, or a disciple of CD, so, if I had a ready supply of cardboard, I'd be doing the same. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(09-08-2021, 09:20 AM)Veggie Wrote: I'm no purist either, or a disciple of CD, so, if I had a ready supply of cardboard, I'd be doing the same. Smile
Plan 'B' which is more purist I suppose is to lift my onions, cover beds with cardboard and cover cardboard with a thick layer of hay (A La Ruth Stout who didn't even use cardboard!) Rolleyes
It just so happens that I have spent a good few hours today cutting/hacking down my mini wildflower meadow at home and have a dozen large bags of hay! Cool I like to cut it once a year after stuff has flowered and dropped its seeds. There will be quite a few seeds in the hay but some will have filtered through to the meadow soil hopefully? I have some nice tuberous orchids transplanted in it which I am hoping will re-appear next year.
The green grass I cut off the main lawns has been taken to the allotment and now surrounds the leeks, beetroot and savoy cabbage plants. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(08-08-2021, 10:31 PM)Spec Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 07:18 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Compost just isn't a very good growing medium for the longer term. In containers it seems to gradually lose its structure whatever you do. Perlite, bark, grit etc. all help aeration but eventually the organic matter in the rest of the mixture decomposes into dust. This leads to compaction and lower ability to hold water and air, which is bad news for roots. As has been said, in a container you don't have the insects or microbiome as you would in soil. Compost applied to the top of the container is just going to sit there and gradually break down with no structural effect on what's underneath.

Your post above ttt makes me wonder at what size of container does compost turn to soil, I have made my own soil by mixing vegative waste and course sand, made up in builders bag so about a meter cube I have had good crops from this for four years and it still looks very good, there have been other more prominent examples such as Inverewe Gardens and The Eden Project where soil was artificially made with outstanding results, but as you say, with smaller containers the contents deteriates
Compost never really turns into soil since it doesn't contain the sand, silt and clay needed to be called soil. A cubic ton of compost will take much longer to break down than a 10 L pot and your addition of sand has likely helped it keep its structure better. Our two lasagna method raised beds sink by a couple of inches every year even though they're topped up fully with compost, coffee grounds every autumn and mulched heavily with grass clippings during summer. Does the level in your builder's bag drop at all?

Here's what looks to be The Eden Project's artificial soil recipe:
  • 25 per cent sand waste from Cornish china clay mines
  • 32.5 per cent composted tree bark
  • 32.5 per cent composted green waste
  • 10 per cent coal rich clay (lignite).
Surprisingly high in organic matter, though composted tree bark is fairly resistant to degradation. I wonder if they have to top it up every year. Currently they're doing more research into artificial soil mixtures in conjunction with the University of Plymouth.
[-] The following 6 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, mcdood, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
(08-08-2021, 07:18 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Does the level in your builder's bag drop at all?

Here's what looks to be The Eden Project's artificial soil recipe:
  • 25 per cent sand waste from Cornish china clay mines
  • 32.5 per cent composted tree bark
  • 32.5 per cent composted green waste
  • 10 per cent coal rich clay (lignite).
Surprisingly high in organic matter, though composted tree bark is fairly resistant to degradation. I wonder if they have to top it up every year. Currently they're doing more research into artificial soil mixtures in conjunction with the University of Plymouth.
I emptied the bag after two years and filled my raised bed in the greenhouse with it and has been in there for two years, the level does go down but so far I have just been filling up with seaweed, but intend adding course sand once the bed is empty as it looks a bit claggy
Thanks for the info regarding the soil makeup of The Eden Project
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie