Raised beds
Admin Offline
The Boss
Many years ago, I was told never to put moss into compost as it spreads quicker than it rots.

I have no idea if it is the current advice though
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I too thought you avoided moss in compost (because P said so - but who takes any notice of him anyway?) But they say sphagnum moss is desirable for all sorts of things, especially retaining moisture. What's the difference between the scourge of my lawn and sphagnum? Also, our top lawn (I use the term 'lawn' very loosely) is more moss than grass and all the mowings from this goes into the compost bin and after 1-2 yrs it is wonderful, quite dense, black gold with no signs of unrotted moss. I suppose the only way to find out is to try it. I've also considered using moss in a bean trench to retain moisture, not done it though.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Roitelet Offline
I’ve used moss in bean trenches to retain moisture and it works. However when digging the following year there was still sole recognizable moss.
[-] The following 2 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Spec Offline
When I made my raised beds I cleared all the compostable rubbish from around the garden, that's thick branches and some turf, along with any uncomposted material in the compost bins lifted the level with soil then mixed garden compost with some old compost, course sand and soil to top off, soil making up the bulk of the material
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I use a mixture of soil and compost, I fertilise with BFB, chicken manure pellets and granular seaweed. This year I will be adding my home made compost as well. In the past I would always add some peat from the bog into my soil that I grow potatoes in to help keep it loose, might just add some to the raised beds as well.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB