Spec's Garden - I am thinking of a complete change
Spec Offline
Tried to load some photos from my phone onto the computer, without success, I don't understand why they make things more complicated, with my last computer I connected them up with a cable and it let me download right away now I have to be connected to the Internet and do other thing as well needless to say it didn't happen so still no photos
I am now on phase 2 of my new bed (I am not doing it in phases but makes it look good) I have started piling up the wood and fortunately one of my grandsons came down a sawed some of the wood for me so this will help fill in quite a bit, will just dodge away and hopefully have it ready for the spring
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB

Spec Offline
                Hopefully I will be able to upload some photos showing where I am removing the soil and where I have been putting it to make up some other areas
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Spec Offline
Got quite a bit of work done today, cut and moved a lot of wood then started filing in, but as the soil level was rising I noticed that the base retaining plank was moving out, so decided to go back to the beginning and start again once I had it cleared I fitted some metal pins into the base board and hammered it down to sink the pins into the ground, I think this will be the permanent bed as I don't fancy trying to move that board out, started to replace the logs and soil but unfortunately it started raining quit heavily and feeling the glowers from SWMBO I thought I had better stop.Rolleyes
Can anyone tell me why do wives think you will get a cold just because you get wet:Angry
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
SWMBO maybe concerned about your muddy feet and dripping body - not your health. :
Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Spec Offline
That's all the wood into the bed, have also topped it off with a lot of the bedding plants, though a good number of them were still in flower its a good time to clear them out and utalie them, never had dahlias flowering as late as this in the past, anyway now covering over with soil, I think I will mound it up to allow for the soil sinking, then leave it over the winter, I still have a number of rudbeckia on display, can anyone tell me if its possible to save seed from them? I have never grown them before but really impressed with the show they have given and still giving, so will definitely go for them again
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Spec Offline
I now have the bed topped up with soil, and have cleared a path about 3ft. wide between the bed and the fences now thinking of making a narrow bed at the base of the fence for growing peas and beans, what would you say was the minimum width for such a bed

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
When I plant a row of peas (3 peas deep with 3" between plants so about 12 plants per foot) or double row of beans, I reckon they are about 4" to 6" wide, plus a couple of inches either side I'd say 8" to a foot?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Spec