Spec's Garden - I am thinking of a complete change
Spec Offline
(31-07-2021, 07:38 PM)Scarlet Wrote: I don't do pots intentionally- my halfway house - seedlings potted on take up a huge amount of my time watering.

I stopped growing lots of veg. I have growing enough to go around and pick for lunch or dinner - beans, courgettes, Tom's etc. Just a couple of kale and chard plants. The flowers have taken over and they really make me smile.

Thats the same here Scarlet, theres only the two of us and we don't see the grandchildren as often now so not feeding them the way we used to, most of the veg that I grow goes to my son and daughter who definitely wouldn't mind if I go for flowers, the tomatoes will still be in the greenhouse and I grow my courgettes and lettuce in containers now anyway, and your last line is why I am thinking of changing the way I garden as I get a lot of pleasure from flowers
[-] The following 7 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
(31-07-2021, 09:06 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Don't you get any pleasure looking at your: "peas, beans, potatoes, onions, cabbage and cauliflower along with several different salad veg growing at the moment"? Particularly thinking about the money you are saving at the greengrocers?

Mark beans can and have been grown in containers, they also give a nice display of flowers, I have also grow peas beside my sweetpeas in the past, the ones I have growing at the moment are giving more than I can use or pass to the kids, the onions might be a bit different, but I have found that jermore? don't take up as much space so could be interplanted, if required
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Made a start over the weekend with the alterations, when going into church yesterday, someone asked if I was keeping myself busy and ofcourse answered that I am changing my garden, OH who was behind me came away with the comment that we have been in our home for forty years and any layout has never lasted more than five years HuhI was quite surprised at that as I didn't know she had been countingRolleyes. Anyway this is the final change of the gardenSmile

Well till the next oneWink
[-] The following 6 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
A change is a good as a rest.............so they say!! Don't understand the saying myself but thought Spec might find it useful.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Spec, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've never managed huge changes - I would love to make my grass into lovely long growing beds - the OH would go nuts!
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Shifted about 20 barrow loads of soil this morning, no dig, raised beds and tree roots definitely not a good combination, I think my next veg bed will be back to traditional gardening which will give a bit of control over the tree roots, as the soil is very dry I decided to fill a couple of bags, which hopefully can be used for storing some of the begonias and geraniums don't know if it will work but if I don't try I will never knowSmile
  • JJB, SarrissUK, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Spec Offline
Was quite busy today, had to take our granddaughter's car for a couple of new tyres, then take our daughters dog for a walk, I brought her home with me as she needs a rest from the pup now and then, (I can relate to thatRolleyes) after lunch I gave a elderly gent a hand with his garden, he lost his wife recently and is completely lost with the garden, along with other things, once back home I decided to line up some slabs as edging for my new bed, I'm beginning to think I am about past it for manhandling 3x2 slabs (please note Veggie, "beginning to think" , not, "I am" past itBig Grin) got them lined up ready to concrete them in place tomorrow, then when listening to the weather forecast it is forecasted that it will be heavy rain tomorrow, so just back in after mixing a batch of concrete and bedding in the slabs. Now I intend taking it easy and reading my bookSmile
  • Broadway, Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
This thread of yours always amuses me - the title comes us as "Spec's Garden - I am thin" and now you're trying to convince us that you're "beginning to think that you're past it".
Dream on................Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Vinny

Spec Offline
But I am thin, if you meet me or see any photos of me, it's just relaxed muscle that you might see hanging over my belt Rolleyes Big Grin
  • JJB, SarrissUK, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm glad you explained what it was - as I might have been embarrassed. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, SarrissUK, Spec, Vinny