Patty pan squash
Farendwoman Offline
Got three patty pans planted. Loads of flowers, but not a sign of a patty pan. My courgettes are in full swing (Defender, Orelia, Goldmine, Midnight, de Nice Rond and Zephyr) 
Shall I give up and rip them out or “have a little patience” as the Take That song goes?
It would give the others a bit of space to spread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Definitely patience needed  Big Grin . I haven’t had a courgette yet. Stop panicking women    Wink  Big Grin .
They will come. I find they’re slower to produce when I grow them. Definitely worth it.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, mcdood

JJB Offline
Moonraker
My Pattinson Gagat gave 2 small fruit early on then gave up. Like yours it's crammed in rather, maybe they like more space. Not going to get it in my garden.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, mcdood

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I usually grow mine in a fish box. So it doesn’t have much space.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

mcdood Offline
Squash like a lot of space. I plant mine around 3 feet apart. I also grow some in the top of large compost bins, uckiki kuri or butternut, not tried patty pans. They love the extra heat and food and grow very well
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • JJB

SarrissUK Offline
I love pattypans and have found them to be prolific once they get started. Try growing them up something like a wigwam if you're running out of space on the ground Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Small chilli

Bren Offline
(27-07-2021, 05:50 PM)JJB Wrote: My Pattinson Gagat gave 2 small fruit early on then gave up. Like yours it's crammed in rather, maybe they like more space.  Not going to get it in my garden.

I'm also growing Patisson Gagat but up to yet I've not had male/female flowers at the tame time so 2 fruits have fallen of.  Courgettes are doing well so its not all bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I would have thought that courgettes would pollinate your squash as both are Cucurbita Pepo which generally are happy cross pollinating, which is why they need to be pollinated by hand carefully if you want to collect their seeds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB

Bren Offline
That’s what I thought as well Mark I have courgettes on either side of the squash.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • JJB

Farendwoman Offline
Yes, I’ve got courgettes either side of my patty pans too.
Loads of flowers on the patty pan - but not a sign of a swelling on any of them.
Might try a wigwam as suggested (thank you!) to give them a bit more room
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB