Raspberry cane advice
mcdood Offline
Yes the cardboard should help suppress weeds and not hinder the canes too much, the majority of the new growth will come from the 'crown' area anyway.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(01-03-2021, 07:46 PM)Broadway Wrote: Fair enough would the card hamper weeds whilst allowing the raspberries to break throughis as they are ard?
Any organic mulch will hamper weeds but not stop new raspberry shoots from forming.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Afternoon folks

I purchased 10 canes earlier this year, stored them in compost before planting out in the plot.

Update, no growth what so ever, shall I just dump them or any special tricks to reserect?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

mcdood Offline
they may have dried out but raspberries are usually tough plants. Can you dig one up to check on its state? Are you able to cadge any off an allotment neighbour to plant alongside as once established they send up 'suckers' everywhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've merged your 2 threads about these raspberries so that we can read about their early life!

There should be new canes on them by now. Have you scratched the canes to see whether they're green or brown under the bark?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Broadway Offline
(27-07-2021, 03:41 PM)mcdood Wrote: they may have dried out but raspberries are usually tough plants. Can you dig one up to check on its state? Are you able to cadge any off an allotment neighbour to plant alongside as once established they send up 'suckers' everywhere.
Not sure yet.
(27-07-2021, 03:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: I've merged your 2 threads about these raspberries so that we can read about their early life!

There should be new canes on them by now. Have you scratched the canes to see whether they're green or brown under the bark?
Thanks VeggieSmile I'll scratch and see tomorrow, depending on the predicted monsoonSmile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Well I can't see any new growth. I took a snip off one of the original canes and it was brown, brittle, and well deadSad
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood

Admin Offline
The Boss
Sounds like they are dead....dried out or planted to deep possibly.

Dig one up and look at the roots....should have white shoots on them if still alive
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, mcdood

Broadway Offline
(28-07-2021, 12:54 PM)Admin Wrote: Sounds like they are dead....dried out or planted to deep possibly.

Dig one up and look at the roots....should have white shoots on them if still alive
Brown and dead, pulled up and binnedSad
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, mcdood

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Who supplied them?
Name and shame!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man