Raspberry cane advice
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(16-01-2021, 03:54 PM)Veggie Wrote: As you told me on another thread - Each to their own. Smile

https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/...s/planting
As you say, each to there own. And NEVER argue with a woman cos you are on a hiding to nowt! Rolleyes Here endeth the first lesson! Big Grin
 Some of the plants I have seen in the likes of Poundland in the past could be stood in a bucket of water forever and still never plump up! Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You're learning................finally. Tongue
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Broadway Offline
Without wanting to start a fightSmile the pending floods will mean a delay to planting the canes!

Realistically lets say a fortnight before planting. They are currently being stored in the coalhouse (hung on the back of the door).

Will they be OK to remain there?
Regards..........Danny Smile

Broadway Offline
Ended up putting them in a polystyrene box covering the roots with spent compost/soil
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Vinny

Broadway Offline
OK now they are finally planted I wanted to tidy the area a tad. If I mulch around the canes with cardboard would this prevent new growth or would it battle through?

mcdood Offline
(01-03-2021, 04:10 PM)Broadway Wrote: OK now they are finally planted I wanted to tidy the area a tad. If I mulch around the canes with cardboard would this prevent new growth or would it battle through?
In my experience Danny I'm not sure concrete would stop them Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You need new growth - the plants have to grow new canes for next spring or for autumn, depending on what type you have.
If you don't want suckers coming up outside the bed, chop through the roots as soon as you see them - or dig them up and treat them as free plants that you can plant elsewhere.- or leave where they are - as I do.
  • Vinny

Broadway Offline
(01-03-2021, 05:29 PM)Veggie Wrote: You need new growth - the plants have to grow new canes for next spring or for autumn, depending on what type you have.
If you don't want suckers coming up outside the bed, chop through the roots as soon as you see them - or dig them up and treat them as free plants that you can plant elsewhere.- or leave where they are - as I do.
Hi Veggie

Autumn fruiting, my hoping was the cardboard would suppress weeds but allow the raspberry's through?

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You didn't say "weeds" you said "new growth" and both mcdood and I thought you were talking about raspberries.
Not sure who's more confused here. Wink
  • Vinny

Broadway Offline
Fair enough would the card hamper weeds whilst allowing the raspberries to break throughis as they are ard?