Strawberries and soft fruit in general
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Is it only me, or has anyone had fantastic crops of juicy strawberries Cool this year whereas last year mine were rubbish Sick . No blackcurrants this year but goosegogs are good as well. Birds have had most of my redcurrants. Rolleyes
Strangely, without even netting,  both birds and slugs/snails haven't had many either. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
It would have been a more fruitful year if it hadn't been for the pigeons, blackbirds and squirrels. Only the netted stuff has survived.
The apples are looking promising.............so far!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Since banning blackbird from polytunnel. Having a fantastic crop of strawberries. I’ve had a few black & red currants, raspberries & gooseberries. But more than happy for blackbird to help themselves to those.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:

Bren Offline
I netted my strawberries and had a good crop, picking the last of them today.

I don’t cut down all my autumn Raspberries Instead leaving a few at the ends of the row to get an early crop and they’ve just started fruiting. They don’t get netted after a bird got caught and it took ages to free him. Anyway there’s usually plenty for us all.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(18-07-2021, 08:53 PM)Veggie Wrote: It would have been a more fruitful year if it hadn't been for the pigeons, blackbirds and squirrels. Only the netted stuff has survived.
The apples are looking promising.............so far!
My apples are non-existent. I think the late frost (end of June) caught the flowers. Angry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'll swap you apples for strawberries. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Strawberries have been very productive but not very tasty so far. Elsanta is definitely getting ripped out at the end of the year, the taste I find completely watery and awful. The birds have been pecking at the fruit which escape the netting, though even they don't seem to like Elsanta.

Blackcurrant (Titania) gave a decent harvest for its first year of fruiting. Don't particularly like the taste on their own but they're nice mixed with other berries and yoghurt.

Blueberries are starting to ripen now, as always I find them tricky to pick at peak ripeness (slightly under ripe can be a bit tart).

Gooseberries have been smothered by other plants so they'll probably be dug out and put into pots for next year. Turns out they're both Hinnomaki Red instead of one red/one green, obviously someone at Aldi switched the labels. Not too fussed about eating them so the birds are welcome to have a peck.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny