Eating in the '50s
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-07-2021, 01:26 PM)Veggie Wrote: My Dad used to eat ?Chitterlings/Chicklings? Intestines I think, that when boiled were bright pink. They'd looked disgusting bobbing about in the pan - like something from Quatermass and the Pit (if you're old enough to remember that!).

I remember being terrified by Quatermass and the pit.  I'm not shy about my age like some Smile. Don't remember having chitterlings though.  How about sweetbreads?  Mum would spend hours preparing them.  Can't get them these days I think because of CJD.  All the offaly things have gone out of fashion  heart,  kidneys, etc shame.  We're all too affluent now.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Ahhh, Sweetbreads! A friend of mine was always talking about them but he wouldn't tell me what they were. In the end, I agreed to eat some if he cooked them. I really don't remember much about them except they came in a tub and were round and white. Think he creamed them and we ate them on toast. Only once!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Bren Offline
Yep they used to sell both chitterlings and hodge those two I do remember.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
What's Hodge, Bren?
All I can think of is hedgehogs!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-07-2021, 03:24 PM)Veggie Wrote: Ahhh, Sweetbreads! A friend of mine was always talking about them but he wouldn't tell me what they were. In the end, I agreed to eat some if he cooked them. I really don't remember much about them except they came in a tub and were round and white. Think he creamed them and we ate them on toast. Only once!!

I think they were pituitary glands, but may be wrong. Mum used to, rarely,  blanch, press, de membrane, flour, egg, breadcrumb then deep fry.  It was the deep fry bit I liked. Plus they were chewy IIRC

Not pituitary but pancreas or thymus.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
People used to say they were "balls" from what creature I know not! They'd do it to wind me up. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB

Spec Offline
(13-07-2021, 09:58 AM)JJB Wrote:
(12-07-2021, 09:47 PM)Spec Wrote: Way before my time, but remember my Mother telling me about that timeRolleyes and yes JJB I am young enough to be around in 70 yaers timeBig Grin

Heaven help the next generation ! Big Grin  I won't be around to give them succour.
There is no way I am giving a like to that, I get the feeling that it's a dig at meCry Tongue
Nor the one about not being shy about your age, I think you are having a dig at Veggie with thatBig Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Spec Offline
(13-07-2021, 03:15 PM)JJB Wrote:
(13-07-2021, 01:26 PM)Veggie Wrote: My Dad used to eat ?Chitterlings/Chicklings? Intestines I think, that when boiled were bright pink. They'd looked disgusting bobbing about in the pan - like something from Quatermass and the Pit (if you're old enough to remember that!).

I remember being terrified by Quatermass and the pit.  I'm not shy about my age like some Smile. Don't remember having chitterlings though.  How about sweetbreads?  Mum would spend hours preparing them.  Can't get them these days I think because of CJD.  All the offaly things have gone out of fashion  heart,  kidneys, etc shame.  We're all too affluent now.

Quatermass, will need to Google that to see what you are on aboutBig Grin
As for the offal out of fashion, I think the Mad Cows Disease stopped that being sold
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(13-07-2021, 06:44 PM)Spec Wrote: There is no way I am giving a like to that, I get the feeling that it's a dig at meCry Tongue
Nor the one about not being shy about your age, I think you are having a dig at Veggie with thatBig Grin Big Grin
Why would I be shy about my age when I'm so much younger than you.Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Spec

Bren Offline
(13-07-2021, 04:23 PM)Veggie Wrote: What's Hodge, Bren?
All I can think of is hedgehogs!!

Veggie I don't want to put you of your dinner but  Hodge is pigs stomach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie