Eating in the '50s
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(11-07-2021, 08:46 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: I used to get sent to the butchers for “a bob’s worth of bacon bits” when I was at primary school. My mum was too proud to go in herself and ask for the offcuts from the bacon slicer.
Goodness how the three of us, Mum, Dad and me used to enjoy those bacon sandwiches! I can taste them now.
I used to be sent for "a 1/- worth of neck bones for the dog". Poor dog - she only saw those bones after they'd be turned into lamb stew for the family. I also had to buy sixpence worth of fish scraps for the cat - he didn't get many of those either!
There was very little tinned pet food for sale - Chappie and Kit-e-Kat which smelt very strongly of fish. Nothing like today's  pet meals that sound like human food and cost as much!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Spec

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(11-07-2021, 09:21 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(11-07-2021, 08:46 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: I used to get sent to the butchers for “a bob’s worth of bacon bits” when I was at primary school. My mum was too proud to go in herself and ask for the offcuts from the bacon slicer.
Goodness how the three of us, Mum, Dad and me used to enjoy those bacon sandwiches! I can taste them now.
I used to be sent for "a 1/- worth of neck bones for the dog". Poor dog - she only saw those bones after they'd be turned into lamb stew for the family. I also had to buy sixpence worth of fish scraps for the cat - he didn't get many of those either!
There was very little tinned pet food for sale - Chappie and Kit-e-Kat which smelt very strongly of fish. Nothing like today's  pet meals that sound like human food and cost as much!
Its like the women asking the butcher for some bones for the dog and the bairn with her piping up "Are we getting a dog Mam" Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I used to take the dog with me as proof! Didn't take the cat though. Smile

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lamb and beef used to be the normal weekend meat - chicken was so expensive we only had one at Easter. Its the other way round now!

Spec Offline
Way before my time, but remember my Mother telling me about that timeRolleyes and yes JJB I am young enough to be around in 70 yaers timeBig Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Spec Offline
Other things that were eaten regularly were, Tripe, peas bross and sausage stew, thats square sausage by the way, soup from a ham bone and the ham scraped off the bone for a main meal (for main meal read onlymeal) if any ham left you got it as a hotpot the next day, actual meat was a rare luxury
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(12-07-2021, 09:47 PM)Spec Wrote: Way before my time, but remember my Mother telling me about that timeRolleyes and yes JJB I am young enough to be around in 70 yaers timeBig Grin

Heaven help the next generation ! Big Grin  I won't be around to give them succour.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I still make soup from the ham boiling water, and sometimes a chicken carcass and I remember tripe and onions, yummy.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Spec, Veggie

Bren Offline
I love homemade pea and ham soup.

Our local butcher who sadly closed after being in the family forever used to cook everything on the premises.
They sold everything from the animals you can’t get those sorts of things from the supermarket Sad
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My Dad used to eat ?Chitterlings/Chicklings? Intestines I think, that when boiled were bright pink. They'd looked disgusting bobbing about in the pan - like something from Quatermass and the Pit (if you're old enough to remember that!).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB